.Net Framwork version from SQL

• Is there a way that I can find out which version of the .Net Framework is installed on the SQL Server without having to use a CLR Assembly?

• AElsmore (2/15/2008)

Is there a way that I can find out which version of the .Net Framework is installed on the SQL Server without having to use a CLR Assembly?

I don't think it's possible without using the CLR. The most detailed version info is given by xp_msver (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187372.aspx), but even that does not give the info you are looking for.

Although .NET is installed with SQL 2005, it is still a separate component, meaning it cannot be accessed from within the database engine.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Hi

AElsmore (2/15/2008)

Is there a way that I can find out which version of the .Net Framework is installed on the SQL Server without having to use a CLR Assembly?

There's an executable named "clrver.exe" that comes either with the SDK or Visual Studio.

It returns the installed versions.

HTH,

Karsten

• Look in the registry under the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP

• Excellent, this seems to do the trick..... just need to know the main version.

DECLARE @outvar varchar(8000)

EXECUTE master..xp_regread 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE','SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727','Version',@outvar OUTPUT

PRINT @outvar

Thanks

• Open SS Management Studio, then click on Help | about...

a popup window will appear with details of .NET framework etc -

I'm not sure whether this is reporting the version on your local PC or on the SQL server itself (if local, then remote onto the server and do the same thing)

hope that is helpful

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply