New / changed / deleted record detection without a trigger in the host db?

• Is there a clever way to detect that a new row has been added to a table without using a trigger which resides in that table's db?

My app has select only permissions on a database; someone else will be deleting, updating and inserting. When these things happen in some tables I would like the app to be able to respond. If I could add trigger to the database I would, but I can't change anything structural.

Can you have a trigger in one db that responds to events in another:

CREATE TRIGGER [TRIGGER NAME] ON [dbname].[dbo].[tablename] ?

I also considered creating a remote view on the table and then a trigger on the view, but then had a Doh! moment and realised that the trigger on the view would respond only to view events, not event on the underlying table.

Furthermore, the app will be connecting with ADO.Net so is there some way of using a dynamic, always connected dataset and detecting changes to that?

Thanks in advance, o gurus,

Bill.

• If you can't change anything the only posible other way is so cumbersome that I'd rather tell you that there is not other way

Cheers,

* Noel

• Bring on the pain o wise one!  i have a similar issue, a COTS package that must remain pure, and i need to see who's making certain changes

• if you don't or can't use triggers but can shed some $$ have a look at idera SQL Compliance Manager and if you have $$$$$ then have a look at lumingent Entegra

* Noel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply