New Company, new DBA Tools budget, can you recommend any?

• The redgate tools have done well for me.

What's in your training budget? I'd be interested to hear what others say about Books and Training.

Thanks

Doug

• ApexSQL Edit is absolutely incredible for the array of things it can do to assist you in writing, testing, controlling, outputting tsql and sql server data. I am also working with the developer to get a debugger built for Edit (that will also be an add-in for SSMS). That product is gonna rock your world! I consider myself to be one of the best around at sql server perf tuning and this product will take me to the next level due to some of the features it contains.

Apex's Diff, Script, Code and Doc tools are also very useful for their purposes. If you need auditing they have a tool for that. And EVERY sql server shop should have their Log product. Every client I have ever had actually did or would have been able to benefit from the ability to unwind oopsies from the tlog!!

I too have heard very good things about Idera's Diagnostic tool from a "what is going on here" perspective.

WhiteSands has a network-sniffing SQL Server product that I saw at PASS that totally smokes. I hope to get the chance to work with it at a client site someday.

For straight administration there is Embarcadero's DBArtisan product. Their quality has sufferered in recent years IMHO, but it is still the best around - especially if you are a multi-RDBMS shop. Embarcadero's ERStudio is an incredibly powerful modeling tool as well, again cross-platform capable. You can get sql server only versions of their tools for much less than list too.

DISCLAIMER: I have a very close relationship with ApexSQL. I use and recommend their tools routinely. If you care to you can mention TheSQLGuru if you make a purchase and then you will get a discount and I will get a nominal remuneration as well.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• I consider myself to be one of the best around at sql server perf tuning and this product will take me to the next level due to some of the features it contains.

Heh... no ego in your family, Kevin... you've got it all! 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (1/16/2008)

I consider myself to be one of the best around at sql server perf tuning and this product will take me to the next level due to some of the features it contains.

Heh... no ego in your family, Kevin... you've got it all! 😛

My father taught me a good line: "Modesty has no place where fact is concerned." 😀

hey, was that my outloud voice?!?! :Whistling:

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• See?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply