New DBA resuming in a financial org.....

• I am a new DBA resuming in a financial org running sql 2008....what do i look out for or expect to do

your experience is needed...

Thanks

• Pretty much everything. Did you get no turnover from the previous DBA or your manager? If not, you're in a tough spot.

Backups and disaster recovery should be your primary concerns. After that, regulatory compliance is a must at a financial firm, and not knowing is not an excuse. You have to find out what regulations you must comply with in regards to data, security, auditing, etc. After that, I'd personally worry about getting good monitoring in place so that you can be pro-active instead of reactive. Finally, I'd get on top of whatever deployment process the developers are using. Understand what it is and what it does.

That's just a start.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks a lot .........

I guess SQL profiler and the DB tuning advisor are my best bets .... what types of common performance bottlenecks should i look out for in a financial firm

thanks

• oluwaseunadenaike (6/28/2011)

I guess SQL profiler and the DB tuning advisor are my best bets

Profiler yes, DTA absolutely not. I'm currently making nice money cleaning up the mess that DTA made of an financial company's most important DB.

.... what types of common performance bottlenecks should i look out for in a financial firm

The same ones you'll get anywhere else. Nothing special about financial data other than the tighter security, regulation and likely stricter SLAs. Performance problems are performance problems no matter the industry.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • oluwaseunadenaike (6/28/2011)

Thanks a lot .........

I guess SQL profiler and the DB tuning advisor are my best bets .... what types of common performance bottlenecks should i look out for in a financial firm

thanks

Everything Gail said *10.

Seriously, don't mess with the DTA.

Also, in regards to Profiler, just use it to consume the data, not to generate it. Running the Profiler against a production system can have unintended consequences. Use Profiler to generate a TSQL file that starts the trace process and outputs that to a file. Then you can use Profiler to browse it. If you are going that route you might want to do a web search for the RML Utilities and take advantage of those. They're free and will help out.

But I wouldn't sweat performance out of the gate. Backups, compliance, monitoring. Those would be my starting points.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks a lot

that has been helpful , I have been working in a medium scale industry, so want to get myself prepped up for the real action soon..

regards

• you must be associate DBA and not then you should study alots of stuff

do you have any expierence as a DBA?

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Grant Fritchey (6/28/2011)

But I wouldn't sweat performance out of the gate. Backups, compliance, monitoring.

Yup. lack of backups (recoverable backups) can seriously harm the business and get you fired. Failure to adhere to compliance rules can result in huge fines and get you fired. Poor performance just results in users complaining.

Make sure the important stuff is squared away, then focus on the rest.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply