New features in SQL Server 2012

• Ok, first of all, I'll be honest, this is for a job interview.

I am getting ready to look for a new job and I am pretty sure the subject of 2012 might come up. I have never seen 2012. My current company upgraded from 2005 to 2008 around 2011 and now doesn't want to upgrade. I do use some new features in 2008 like the MERGE command and the ability to insert multiple rows without repeating the INSERT command.

If they ask me about 2012, I want to at least tell them I have investigated the new features. I can always google "SQL Server 2012 new features" but my question is mainly for the experts: What features of 2012 do you personally consider important or useful? Thanks!

• Mike Seattle (2/4/2013)

If they ask me about 2012, I want to at least tell them I have investigated the new features.

Have you investigated the new features? What are your thoughts on them?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm with Gail, look the stuff over and see what you think about it. If I'm interviewing you, I don't want to hear my opinion, I want yours. And if you haven't worked with 2012 much, or you don't know much, just say that. Knowing how companies hold on to ancient technology (still can't believe how many 2000 servers are still out there), it's not a shock that people don't always know the latest & greatest. That's OK. Just say you're not experienced with it. Of course, my next question in an interview would be, "So, if you were going to start learning it, how would you go about it?"

And to directly answer your question, at least a little, check out the Extended Events gui. That's pretty slick.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (2/4/2013)

And to directly answer your question, at least a little, check out the Extended Events gui. That's pretty slick.

I could live without the GUI, the enhanced windowing functions however...

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• 1) telling your prospective employer you have investigated features could be a nice way to get them to ASK you about them - and then you are in deep kimchi because you won't really know jack about them.

2) More complete windowing function support is what I consider to be the most important feature addition, primarily because a) almost EVERY client I have ever been at in 15+ years of SQL Server consulting could benefit from them and b) they go all the way down to SQL Express - VERY unlike MOST "really useful/important" things that usually come out in new SQL Server versions. If you are on Enterprise Edition then you get awesome things like Column Store Indexing, readable/multiple-copy database mirroring, etc.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• GilaMonster (2/4/2013)

Grant Fritchey (2/4/2013)

I could live without the GUI, the enhanced windowing functions however...

I like it because I can include the query hash in what I capture and then use the GUI as cheap & dirty RML Utilities replacement by aggregating on the hash.

Grant = Lazy & Shiftless

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thank you Gail, Grant and SQLGuru. Funny how you said look it up yourself but then gave me all the answers discussing the new features amongst yourselves :-):-D

I think changes to the OVER clause are pretty useful.

I asked this question because I had this issue about 4 years ago.

Interviewer: Have you had any experience with 2008?

Me: No, I have not.

Interviewer: Well, did you at least investigate new features in the new version???

Me: ...... !?

So I think I should be better prepared this time.

• Mike Seattle (2/5/2013)

I think changes to the OVER clause are pretty useful.

What about them are useful? What problems can you solve now that you couldn't solve before?

I asked this question because I had this issue about 4 years ago.

Interviewer: Have you had any experience with 2008?

Me: No, I have not.

Interviewer: Well, did you at least investigate new features in the new version???

Me: ...... !?

So I think I should be better prepared this time.

So prepare. Grab the 2012 BoL (or the online MSDN pages) and read up on the new features, see what you think of them, not what I think of them.

Gail Shaw

• Mike Seattle (2/5/2013)

...gave me all the answers discussing the new features amongst yourselves...

Hardly even scratched the surface.

My favourite is

SELECT modification_counter

FROM sys.dm_db_stats_properties

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply