new file created after migrating database from SQL 2000 to 2008

• Hello, I have a situation I am not sure what the resolution is... I backed up the database from my tired, old SQL 2000 server and restored it to my spiffy new SQL 2008 server. did all the typical things dbcc checkdb with data_purity and executed update satistics with full scan for every table in the database, ran a rebuild index job.

well during some point in this process a new file was created on my C: drive under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\FTData. the file name is the same as my database but with 'ftrow_ix' prefixed before the name. it has an .ndf extension and is 4GB in size. This file did not exist on my SQL 2000 server. Right now that file is in a really bad spot because my C: drive is now almost full. Can someone tell me what this newly auto-generated ndf file is and if it is safe to move? Can it be removed from the database? how can I prevent this from happening again?

thanks

• well during some point in this process a new file was created on my C: drive under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\FTData. the file name is the same as my database but with 'ftrow_ix' prefixed before the name. it has an .ndf extension and is 4GB in size.

I think that is the Full Text index data so you could avoid it if you manually remove everything related to Full Text index before upgrading because in 2005/8 Full Text is native so after upgrade right click on each table and define new native indexes. These can be populated automatically based on how you defined that indexes.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply