New in LogShipping

• One of my client ask me for implementing some strategy to have the database always availanle against failure, but saving money for hardware and administration.

I have choosen to implement Log Shipping, but I am new in this matter; my question is if is possible to use log shipping only for some table and not all tables in a DB.

For instance: a DB with 100 tables and I want to take always update 30 tables in the destination SQL server (stand-by server).

Is it possible?

Thank very much.

• Log-Shipping copies the entire transaction log backup to your backup server and restores it, therefore it is a perfect copy of your source DB.

If you need only certain tables then you should search BOL for "Transactional Replication"

• ...One other thing - you didn't mention what version of SQL Server you are running;

If it is SQL2K then for Log-Shipping you can avoid the extra licencing cost of Enterprise edition by getting hold of the Back Office Resource Kit (BORK - the one I used was v4.5 from September 1999) - this includes a Do-It-Yourself implementation of Log-Shipping which I found very easy to set-up.

this D.I.Y log-shipping has been running happily for approx. 6 months without having to do anything!

• Hi,

As Balde said, in logshipping you can do LS for the whole database, you can not do it for table wise, for table wise you've to go for replication either Snapshot or Transactional. Replication will help to transfer the data for specific tables (Articles) as per your requirement.

Warmest

Jayakumar K

• Thank to everybody,

I thought about replication, but I asked about LogShipping because I am not very experienced it.

So I will analyse the job to do in depth to choose the best way to have a replicated DB (Replication or Log-Shipping)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply