New question re log shipping

• Greetings,

I am using log shipping to create a standby database. Our primary was taken out of service and I used db_change_secondary to promote the secondary to the primary using the following syntax...

USE master

GO

EXEC msdb.dbo.change_secondary_role

@db_name = 'dbname',

@final_state = 1,

@access_level = 1,

@stopat = null

That all worked fine, I don't want the old primary to be the secondary until we put it back in service and I expected this would also have the new primary not attempt to start up log shipping. However now I see that the new primary is apparently shipping logs to itself, that is based on looking at the log shipping monitor. I am unable to remove the maintenance plan because it includes log shipping which I must first stop. When I bring up the maintenance plan and click on the log shipping tab a dialogue box is displayed indicating that the server must be registered and when I attempt to register the server it tells me a server with this name already exists.

I am not sure I explained this clearly but at this point I am completely at a loss as to how to proceed. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• The easiest way is to stop the log shipping for now.

To perform a log shipping role change, probably you should start with transfering logins (if it is necessary), kick off the current primary server by using sp_change_primary_role, then promote the secondary server (sp_change_second_role).

Cheers.

• to change any configuration with the log shipping all the servers installed in the processes must be registered. thats why u get the error saying that the server must be registered. u can register all the servers in a single EM and the modify the log shipping properties.

If u want to stop log shipping temporarily then disable all the log shipping jobs that should do for u

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply