New SQL Guy need help

• I understand what most of this query is doing.  The part i dont understand is the "{ oj...}.  I also noticed the query runs significantly longer the first time.  I believe this has to do with the overhead of parallelism execution.   Does making this a stored procedure reduce how frequently sql server recreates the execution path?

SELECT DISTINCT

XVYReportType.xvyrtCode, XVYReportType.xvyrtName, XVYReportType.xvyrtValXName, XVYReportType.xvyrtValYName, XVYReportType.xvyrtPTDName,

XVY.xvyroBudgetYear, XVY.xvyroMonthNumber, XVY.xvyroMonthName, XVY.xvyroReportPeriod, XVY.xvyroLevel1Account, XVY.xvyroLevel1Name, XVY.xvyroLevel2Account, XVY.xvyroLevel2Name, XVY.xvyroLevel3Account, XVY.xvyroLevel3Name, XVY.xvyroLevelNumber, XVY.xvyroOrd, XVY.xvyroReportType, XVY.xvyroReportControl, XVY.xvyroSubAccount, XVY.xvyroDescrip, XVY.ValXAmount, XVY.ValXPercent, XVY.ValYAmount, XVY.ValYPercent, XVY.Variance, XVY.ValXAmountPTD, XVY.ValXPercentPTD, XVY.ValYAmountPTD, XVY.ValYPercentPTD, XVY.VariancePTD, XVY.xvyroBold, XVY.xvyroRowFormat, XVY.xvyroSuppressPercent

FROM

{ oj myDatabase.dbo.tblBudgetPlanningXVYReportType XVYReportType INNER JOIN Mydatabase.dbo.tblBudgetPlanningXVYReportOutput XVY ON

XVYReportType.xvyrtID = XVY.xvyroRTID} WHERE

XVYReportType.xvyrtCode = 'BVA' AND

XVY.xvyroMonthNumber = 1 AND

XVY.xvyroBudgetYear = 2005 AND

XVY.xvyroReportControl = 'Short1' AND

XVY.xvyroLevelNumber <= 3 AND

XVY.xvyroReportType = 'InternalSummary'

• This is ODBC Outer Join Escape Sequence http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/odbcouter_join_escape_sequence.asp

change your code like below and try if it works:

"...FROM

myDatabase.dbo.tblBudgetPlanningXVYReportType XVYReportType INNER JOIN Mydatabase.dbo.tblBudgetPlanningXVYReportOutput XVY ON

XVYReportType.xvyrtID = XVY.xvyroRTID WHERE..."

Best Regards,

Vlad

• Removing the odbc outer join escape sequence worked, but didnt improve query performance. I guess i need to find a way to optimize this query or reduce the number of times SQL Server recreates the execution plan.

• If you want some tips how to optimize your query, you should post result of this script here.

set showplan_text on

go

SELECT ... (your select)

go

set showplan_text off

go

OR You can do it yourself. The main point - you should play with indexes.

All Index Scan in result of showplan_text should be replaced with Index Seek

Best Regards,

Vlad

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply