New to SSAS

• Hello,

I've been given the task to speed up some of our complex reports. We are currently using are production database server to run reports, which is a major 'no' no'. Anyway, one of the suggestions was to use SSAS (on a different server).

Were currently running transactional replication from our production environment (push subscription) to a subscriber which will be our proposed reporting environment.

I'm new to SSAS and would like to know if SSAS has the capability of converting complex stored procedures into Cubes, Measures, Dimensions, etc.

Thank you for your time.

• SSAS Does not have the capability to "convert" stored procedures or queries to Cubes [Measures, Dimensions].

You need to go through the exercise of modeling the data that better supports report structures, and cube structures. ie Start/Snowflake schema.

And then build process' to load the reporting schema/tables.

You can certainly try to build some cubes off an OLTP schema, but results will vary.

• Ray M (10/10/2012)

SSAS Does not have the capability to "convert" stored procedures or queries to Cubes [Measures, Dimensions].

You need to go through the exercise of modeling the data that better supports report structures, and cube structures. ie Start/Snowflake schema.

And then build process' to load the reporting schema/tables.

You can certainly try to build some cubes off an OLTP schema, but results will vary.

Thank you Ray, I will look into the Snowflake schema and do some exercises.

Pete

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply