New to xml... Is sp_xml_preparedocument required?

• I'm finally experimenting with xml, specifically with passing a dataset/temp table to a stored procedure using xml.

I've read examples that show the use of sp_xml_preparedocument as if it is a required procedure for creating an xml document EXEC sp_xml_preparedocument @handle OUTPUT, @xmlDoc , and then the subsequent use of sp_xml_removedocument to clear the xml document from sql server's memory EXEC sp_xml_removedocument @handle

I've discovered that I can run a sql script that will populate my parameter @xmlDoc without needing to call sp_xml_preparedocument, and that I can actually pass the @xmlDoc to my stored proc.

Below is the sql that prepares the data in xml:

DECLARE @xmlDoc XML

SET @xmlDoc = (

SELECT

au_id, au_fname, au_lname

FROM

pubs.dbo.authors

FOR

XML RAW('itemlevel'), TYPE, ROOT ('rootlevel'), ELEMENTS XSINIL

)

EXEC dbo.show_xml @xmlDoc

and here is the stored proc that converts the xml into table format:

ALTER PROC dbo.show_xml

(

@xmlDoc XML

)

AS

begin

SELECT M.Item.query('./au_id').value('.','varchar(20)') au_id,

M.Item.query('./au_lname').value('.','VARCHAR(250)') au_lname,

M.Item.query('./au_fname').value('.','varchar(250)') au_fname,

FROM @xmldoc.nodes('/rootlevel/itemlevel') AS M(Item)

end

The result set of the stored proc returns just fine.

So, two questions:

1) is sp_xml_preparedocument really necessary? when is it required?

2) by not calling sp_xml_preparedocument, am I consuming sql server's memory by having it generate an xml doc and not freeing the memory by having not called sp_xml_removedocument ?

Again, I'm new to xml. Worked with SQL for years, but haven't needed to deal with xml.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

• sp_xml_preparedocument & remove document are required if you are passing the XML string as varchar type. Otherwise you don't need to. I'm not sure but I would doubt if SQL 2k5 would internally call sp_xml_preparedocument for XML data type variables.

A bit more explanation on BOL

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply