Newbie question - Views & delete

• I got a request from a superuser to delete certain records within a db. When I was unable to locate the table she claimed they were in I found that it a view instead. I am now leary about her request since I am not sure if SQL 2000 will allow deletions from a view, and what happens to all the corresponding records in the tables that comprise the view. Is this at all possible? What are the pitfalls? What should I watch out for, or should I just deny the request?

• Views based on a single table are no problem.

I've not ever attempted to even try to delete from view where the view was comprised of 2 or more tables.

Be intrested to see what others post.

Once you understand the BITs, all the pieces come together

• I found that the view is comprised of three tables. Tables 1 & 2 are (inner) joined on an id field and Tables 2 7 3 are inner joined on a secondary id field. If I delete records using an SQL stement like DELETE * FROM myview WHERE date = '1/16/2004' ... What would happen? Will it delete the records from all 3 tables? or do I have to do this manually to each table?

• You can not delete from a view that references multiple tables (AFAIK)

Try this:

use tempdb

create table one (nbr int)

create table two (nbr int)

create table three (nbr int)

insert into one select 1 union all select 4 union all select 5

insert into two select 1 union all select 4 union all select 7

insert into one select 1 union all select 4 union all select 9

create view myView as

--you can not do this as the colums have to be unique

--select * from one join two on one.nbr=two.nbr join three on one.nbr = three.nbr

select one.nbr as nbr1, two.nbr as nbr2,three.nbr as nbr3

from one join two on one.nbr=two.nbr join three on one.nbr = three.nbr

delete from myview

you get this error:

Server: Msg 4405, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

View or function 'myview' is not updatable because the modification affects multiple base tables.

HTH

------------

Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

• Thanx! You just confirmed my suspicions. You guys are all great! I am learning a lot just reading you posts. Hopefully one day I will be able to contribute more. Thanx again.

• Good questions can contribute just as much, or even more than good answers, and always are better than bad answers.

• I completely agree Thomas, good questions have led me to test some cool scenarios and thus learn more! (isn't that everyone's goal?)

------------

• You can delete from a view by using an INSTEAD OF trigger on the view.  Using Ray's example:

CREATE TRIGGER d_myView ON myView

INSTEAD OF DELETE AS

DELETE One

FROM One JOIN deleted ON Nbr = Nbr1

DELETE Two

FROM Two JPIN deleted ON Nbr = Nbr2

DELETE Three

FROM Three JOIN deleted ON Nbr = Nbr3

--Jonathan

• Jonathan

• Yep, placing an instead of trigger will work, I forgot about that, haven't ever used it.

------------

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply