no default schema for groups means groups are useless?

• I've read about this is lot's of forums, but sqlservercentral is typically be best discussion, so I thought I'd see how other dba's are dealing with this.

I have an upgraded app going in and am administering the 2k5 sp3 database. The application development assumed users will have the default schema "schema1". I prefer, as per MS best practice, to manage database security using windows ad group authentication- i.e. I will create a login for domain1\applicationuserssecuritygroup, map that to a user of the same name in userdatabase and grant db_datareader and db_datawriter to that user.

This would not work- since the application will pass "select * from tablename" instead of "select * from schema1.tablename" I need to set a default schema. I can not set a default schema for a group.

Does this mean that I have to ignore the MS recommendation and create individual users each with the default schema "schema1"?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Warren Campbell

MCITP DBA 2005

• might have answered my own question... thinking of telling the developers they need to create synonyms... but still would like to hear any other approaches or thoughts on using synonyms as a work around...

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply