No relationship question

• Hi guys

Consider the two tables below.  Assuming there was no relationship between the two tables how would one create a sp that returns all employees that have a salarylevelID that is not in the salary level table?  Any ideas?

Thanks all you wonderful people!

TABLE [dbo].[Employees](

[employeeNo] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[lastName] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[firstName] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[gender] [char](1) NOT NULL,

[IDNumber] [varchar](20) NOT NULL,

[salaryLevelID] [int] NULL,

[departmentID] [int] NULL,

TABLE [dbo].[salaryLevel](

[salaryLevelID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[amount] [decimal](7, 2) NULL,

[increasePercentage] [smallint] NULL,

• I'd use NOT EXISTS probably

SELECT e.EmployeeNo

FROM dbo.Employees AS e

WHERE NOT EXISTS(

SELECT sl.SalaryLevelID

FROM  dbo.SalaryLevel AS sl

WHERE sl.SalaryLevelID = e.SalaryLevelID);

There are other ways as well. An outer join & filter on NULL values would also probably work. OUTER CROSS APPLY also filtered on NULL. Might be others.

I'd strongly suggest getting the relationship in place. Foreign keys serve a real purpose and in fact enhance performance as well as avoid situations like this.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Just a quick point on terminology. The 'relationship' is already there between the two tables.

What I think you are referring to is known as a 'constraint', specifically a 'foreign key' constraint.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply