Noob question on an if..then statement

• I'm having a problem with an if..then statement that I don't understand and can't fix. Below is the snippet of code. I have two traces open. One trace filtered on %%::ERROR::%%, and the other filtered on '%Send_Get_MD_Message - Error%'.

In the trace filtered for %%::ERROR::%%, I can see entries for '::ERROR::BEFORE', '::ERROR::AFTER' & '::ERROR::NOERROR', but not '::ERROR::DURING', ever.

PRINT '::ERROR::BEFORE'

SELECT @ErrorNumber = ISNULL(ERROR_NUMBER(), 0)

IF @ErrorNumber != 0

BEGIN

PRINT '::ERROR::DURING'

SET @lMessageDetail = ''

SET @lMessageDetail = + ' SQL Error number=' + ISNULL(CONVERT(VARCHAR, @ErrorNumber), 'Null')

SET @lMessageDetail = @lMessageDetail + ' SQL Error Description=' + ISNULL(ERROR_MESSAGE(), 'Null')

EXECUTE master..xpLog_Info 10, 'Send_Get_MD_Message - Error', @lMessageDetail

END

ELSE

BEGIN

PRINT '::ERROR::NOERROR'

END

PRINT '::ERROR::AFTER'

In the trace filtered for '%Send_Get_MD_Message - Error%', it's firing nearly every iteration. This is the only place in the code where this text is present, so I know it's this location. But the '::ERROR::DURING' never appears in the trace, it's almost like the extended proc is firing regardless of the value of @ErrorNumber.

Can anyone help explain this?

• From Books Online

ERROR_NUMBER ( )

When called in a CATCH block, returns the error number of the error message that caused the CATCH block to be run.

Returns NULL if called outside the scope of a CATCH block.

So unless that fragment of code is from a catch block, Error_Number will always be null. Use @@Error instead if you're trying to look at error numbers outside of a try ... catch construct

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks,

If I make a change and capture the @@ERROR after every SQL statement in the proc, with something like:

IF (@@ERROR <> 0) AND (@ErrorNumber = 0)

BEGIN

SET @ErrorNumber = @@ERROR

END

I still don't have an error code. The sequence in my trace still looks like:

::ERROR::BEFORE

::ERROR::NOERROR

::ERROR::AFTER

The ::ERROR::DURING is never written to the trace but the xpLog_Info is still firing and IF @ErrorNumber != 0 still evaluates to 0.

• sqlpadawan_1 (3/28/2012)

Thanks,

If I make a change and capture the @@ERROR after every SQL statement in the proc, with something like:

IF (@@ERROR <> 0) AND (@ErrorNumber = 0)

BEGIN

END

Common mistake there...

@@error records the error number of the last statement, not of the last error that occurred. So your IF checks @@error, if it's not 0 then the SET allocated the error code of that IF statement (which is likely 0) to @ErrorNumber.

You have to check @@error after every single statement and if you want to do something with it, the first thing you do is put it into a variable, then check and assign and do whatever.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Ok, so if I understand your last post, I would need something like this after every sql command

IF (@ErrorNumber != 0)

BEGIN

SET @RecordErrorNumber = @ErrorNumber

END

And then check the @RecordErrorNumber

IF (@RecordErrorNumber != 0)

BEGIN

SET @lMessageDetail = ''

SET @lMessageDetail = + ' SQL Error number=' + ISNULL(CONVERT(VARCHAR, @RecordErrorNumber), 'Null')

END

ELSE

BEGIN

END

• Yup, that's far more likely to work.

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2008/05/20/common-t-sql-mistakes/

Gail Shaw

• Thanks for all the help Gail. The problem comes down to the extended proc. No matter the value of the @RecordErrorNumber, that proc fires inside that if loop, and nothing else does (no other procs, print statements, etc...). I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Is this a custom extended stored procedure: xpLog_Info?

• Yes, it's custom.

• Can you run this as part of whatever code you're testing and post exactly what it prints out?

Print 'Error number = ' + @RecordErrorNumber

IF (@RecordErrorNumber != 0)

BEGIN

SET @lMessageDetail = ''

SET @lMessageDetail = + ' SQL Error number=' + ISNULL(CONVERT(VARCHAR, @RecordErrorNumber), 'Null')

print @lMessageDetail

END

ELSE

BEGIN

END

Gail Shaw

• Below is the code that I used, there is a simulator running against the database and I had to filter down on some of the print messages:

Print 'SQL Error number= ' + ISNULL(CONVERT(VARCHAR, @RecordErrorNumber), 'Null')

IF (@RecordErrorNumber <> 0)

BEGIN

SET @lMessageDetail = ' SQL Error number=' + ISNULL(CONVERT(VARCHAR, @RecordErrorNumber), 'Null')

PRINT '::ERROR::DURING' + ISNULL(@lMessageDetail, '')

EXECUTE master..xpLog_Info 10,'Send_Get_MD_Message - Error',@lMessageDetail

END

ELSE

BEGIN

END

I filtered down the trace on this:

Continued filter:

And the results look like this (I filtered out all of the usual columns that were either blank or zero):

• It looks to me like it's working as intended.

Bear in mind you have multiple sessions mixed up there, but if you look at each session on its own, it's either printing 'no error', or it's

setting the error message statement then running the xp.

The only thing I don't see that I'd expect is the print of error during.

Gail Shaw

• Maybe I'm reading this wrong then. Looking at the middle session, spid 67, it executed the xpLog_Info proc and also printed the ::ERROR::NOERROR line. I guess I would have thought the IF loop would only execute one or the other. I agree about printing the error inside the if loop. I've tried to print the error code from there or even insert it into a table, and nothing ever appears, that's what makes me believe I'm not getting an error (event though reading the logic I know I am).

• 67 did the following, in sequence:

Assign message

execute xp

Assign message

execute xp

print before

print error number

print no error

print after

Looks like 3 separate executions, 2 with errors, one without.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks for your help with this Gail. I guess I need to dig deeper and see what is causing the errors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply