Noon and Midnight (NOT 12 pm and 12 am)

• It used to be when you googled for this topic you got a US govt website that set the record straight; but it seems that Microsoft has so tainted the world that you now get sites that say it's one way or the other (i.e., am, or pm, or vice versa).

There is NO SUCH THING as 12 AM or 12 PM...

Noon is the time between AM and PM, midnight is the time between PM and AM.

Check your auto insurance policy and get an effective date/time... it will usually say 11:59 PM or 12:01 AM... They aren't about to be fooled.

When I was growing up in Ocean City Maryland there were parking meters at the inlet next to the boardwalk that were labeled "meters active from 8 AM until 12 PM... every day."  You come to the boardwalk at 10 PM... do you put a dime in the meter?  You get a ticket... do you pay?  It was beat in court - and all of the meters were changed to reflect "8 AM until Midnight".

If next Monday is November 6th and you say that something is going to happen at "midnight Monday", do you REALLY know what is meant?  There is NO SUCH THING.  "Midnight Monday" COULD mean the midnight before, or the midnight after.  Granted, most people would expect this to mean the midnight "after"... but, it is technically incorrect.

Okay, getting off my soapbox now.

Thank-you,
    David Russell
    Any Cloud, Any Database, Oracle since 1982

• So what are you gonna do Friday night at midnight ?

• The 24 hour system is so much better. I wish the US would use it instead. Of course, we also can't seem to accept metric. And we wonder why our kids are so behind the rest of the world in knowledge!

Signing off at twelve hundred forty-three hours Pacific Standard time.

PS - Don't even get me started on Daylight Savings Time versus Standard and that the United States is now going to be on a different schedule than Europe!

Michelle

• hahahaha... yeah, I won't get you started, if you promise not to get ME started... I have recently posted here about it being "Daylight Saving Time"... NOT Savings... or Daylights Savings as someone wrote.  I just couldn't resist.

Thank-you,
    David Russell

• My wife, twenty years younger than me, got off at 11 last night, and gets off at 11 tonight... so I was and hopefully WILL be doing the same thing at BOTH midnights

Why do  you ask?

Thank-you,
    David Russell

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply