Not able to restore in WIndows 2008 Enterprise Edition from Standard Edition

• I am trying to restore a database from SQL 2008 Standard version Windows 2008 Standard 64 bit to SQL 2008 Enterprise version Windows 2008 Enterprise 64 bit edition.

I recieve this error message.

ERROR Message Received:

Exception occurred while executing a T-SQL

The DB was backed up on a server running version 10.50.1600. That version is incompatible with this server, which is running version10.00.1600. Either restore the DB on a server that supports the backup, or use a backup that is compatible with this server.

Restore DB is terminating abnormally. ERROR:3169.

I tried various ways but had no luck. Can any one suggest me how to deal with this.

I tried to restore in SQL 2008 developer version Windows 2003 Standard 32- bit

Thank you in advance.

• You cannot restore a backup of a SQL Server 2008 R2 database to a SQL Server 2008 server.

• The problem has nothing to do with the windows version. The problem is that the source of that backup is SQL 2008 R2, not SQL 2008. It's a higher version of SQL and the database cannot be restored on a lower version (2008 or below)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Anyone with the solution yet?

Can one download Cumulative Updates for solving this?

• There is no solution. You cannot restore a SQL 2008 R2 database to SQL 2008. They are separate versions of SQL and downgrade has never been possible for a SQL database.

If you want to move that database down, script all objects, export all data and recreate the DB on the lower version.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• The other option would be to upgrade your 2008 server to 2008 R2. Of course that would require a license purchase unless you have SA, as well as testing.

• THE-FHA (3/31/2011)

Anyone with the solution yet?

Can one download Cumulative Updates for solving this?

Create an empty database and use export and import wizard to transfer all the tables and views. For stored procedures, functions logins etc. you can use 'Generate Script Wizard' to script all of them and run on the new database. This is not a simple solution but not too tough too implement considering that you are going downwards in the version.

• lets try with recent updates of this release like service packs and CUs

Regards,

Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan

MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com

Regards,
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan (4/23/2011)

lets try with recent updates of this release like service packs and CUs

Regards,

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com[/quote%5D

all those initials under your name and you don't know you cannot restore a higher version of SQL on a lower version? read the thread again, you skimmed over some important points.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I know very well,but SP2 of SQL Server 2008 released after SQL Server 2008 R2,I have mentioned just try it,I didnt said that is the solution ok,You cant access SQL Server 2005 client to SQL Server 2008 R2 but when you install service pack 3 then you can connect with SQL Server 2005 SSMS with SQL Server 2008 R2,just try it with latest updates of SQL Server 2008 SP2 CU3 or any later

Regards,

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com

Regards,
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• That's client tools, and it's a whole different story.

As for the database files, a higher database version cannot be restored to a lower database version. That's irrespective of CU or SP.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply