Not aloud to use subreports.

• I have to incorporate 5 subreports into one report.

What is the best way of doing this?

• Why are you not allowed to use subreports?

• because my boss wants to store each report definiton in a database. That each report's xml is stored in a string ntext in a database.

So what should I do?

• The subreport is a report. It can still be "saved" in the database (which btw is what happens in the reportserver DB).

My only personal preference is to store those in a different folder than the master report so that users don't get confused, but I don't see that as any problems for your backup?? strategy.

• This is not my backup strategy. The thing is if one user wants to manipulate the report it can be loaded in memory without touching the database. How would u go around not working with sub reports?

• Copy the 5 reports into a master report. that could get messy with 5 reports most likely all having report and page headers + footers.

But that would be a waste of time.

I still don't understand the requirement of no sub reports and memory only and no db.

You can't change the way ssrs works. There's no way around that and no need as far as I see.

• I'm not sure I'm completely following, but if this is a performance issue, you could load a snapshot of the report and cache that, then the users wouldn't really be "running" a new report every time, it would just load the cached copy? You can set it to expire, so you get updated info every so often, just not every time.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply