Not an 8 to 5 employee

• How can I get re-started in the world of SQL Server.  Fifteen years ago I was as a SQL Server DBA but then shifted to a career as a Storage Area Network (SAN) engineer.  I will retire soon but would love to get  involved with Databases again. I enjoy creating/managing databases and analyzing data etc.  I don’t want some crazy stressful job but would like to re-enter the field slowly.  Maybe doing freelance or contract work, I would even work for free just to get my skills up to speed.  I have an entrepreneurial spirit and would love to find a way leverage that with databases and data analysis.  Are there opportunities working with Open Data?  Is there better place/site to pose these questions? Any thoughts that may help would  be appreciated. Please let me know if I should post this elsewhere.

• Did you also post this question on Quora? It sounds like one I answered over there. My answer here would be largely the same.

As to a way to dip your toe in, that's going to be tough. Database development or database management tends to be an all or nothing proposition a lot of the time. Maybe looking away from the database and towards the data. Analytics and analysis. Although, those frequently require quite a lot of business knowledge to get them right. However, throwing up a few PowerBI screens for a business would be an effective part-time solution. On the other hand, I don't know how to tell you about tracking down the jobs for that.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Sharpen up your resume, find a trustworthy "jobber" type of recruiter (they'll want to interview you to ensure you're worth your salt in SQL and/or DataAnalysis), and then let them go to work for you.  A "good" one will be one that tries to match your skills with the customer needs.  If you play your cards right, you might be able to even get benefits along with a large amount of money without becoming an FTE.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply