Not Excited by Linux

• GeorgeCopeland - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:30 AM

Gary Varga - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:24 AM

I do not hear of people complaining about SQL Server compared to the competition.

I do hear MANY people complaining about Windows Server compared to other OSes. Windows has a bad name whereas Linux is the golden child. Regardless of any facts, whether this is deserved or not, the perception in the boardroom is that Linux is the one that is both free and keeps the crown jewels safe. It is the acceptable choice.

If I was Microsoft then I would know which offspring I would drop in favour of the other.

Windows server has a place in the enterprise depending on the need, there is no good or bad. In my experience, Windows is the preferred environment for delivering business functionality, not because of the technology, but because staffing and support are comparatively easy to acquire. Converting an existing business operation from Windows to Linux would be a disaster.

I don't disagree. I am talking about perceptions that drive purchasing decisions.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I don't think that there is any chance of Windows being abandoned for Linux, unless it's a Linux shop that was forced to introduce a couple Windows Servers.

This is aimed more at those companies that have avoided SQL Server because it required Windows.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:36 AM

I don't think that there is any chance of Windows being abandoned for Linux, unless it's a Linux shop that was forced to introduce a couple Windows Servers.

This is aimed more at those companies that have avoided SQL Server because it required Windows.

... so they decide to adopt the Linux way only because they hate / fear windows, messing with all the "teething problems" of the new platform, ending up hating microsoft even more 😀😀😀
    SQL Server on Windows is rock solid and very easy to install and administrate and the Windows installation below SQL requires very few maintenance.
    I cannot figure a Company that "fears" Windows 😛

• massimo.giacomello - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:01 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:36 AM

I don't think that there is any chance of Windows being abandoned for Linux, unless it's a Linux shop that was forced to introduce a couple Windows Servers.

... so they decide to adopt the Linux way only because they hate / fear windows, messing with all the "teething problems" of the new platform, ending up hating microsoft even more 😀😀😀
    SQL Server on Windows is rock solid and very easy to install and administrate and the Windows installation below SQL requires very few maintenance.

There are plenty of reasons to fear Windows just as there is plenty of reasons to fear Linux. 
    I personally love both. It's even better I have more options with SQL Server. This only enhances the engine, especially as we are going into a new tech age where competition is going to get pretty fierce for SQL Server in the next 10 years.

• xsevensinzx - Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:29 AM

massimo.giacomello - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:01 AM

There are plenty of reasons to fear Windows just as there is plenty of reasons to fear Linux. One of the main reasons that I feel many people chose Linux over Windows is open source. You have more control over your OS versus Windows. You felt as if you knew what was going on under the hood and more importantly, you can actually touch and change what's under that hood even beyond the OS. Some of the others was performance. Linux has generally performed better for longer than Windows, mostly because you have so much control. This has gotten better with Windows server over the years though. Of course, with more control comes with more complexity. Not everyone wants to be a C++, Java programmer just to be a sys admin to manage their OS's. I mean, who really wants to spend their day rebuilding the kernel. There are pretty clear pro's and con's IMHO.

I personally love both. It's even better I have more options with SQL Server. This only enhances the engine, especially as we are going into a new tech age where competition is going to get pretty fierce for SQL Server in the next 10 years.

Yes right but the Windows Server OS under SQL Server... does almost nothing! Usually it does not even have access to internet. Which kind of special controls you may need?
    I understand you may require special controls over your application server, which can be everything: Linux, MacOS and AmigaOS too.

• Whilst excited by the prospect of MS-SQL under Linux I would only recommend evaluating it to my management on a supported Linux platform like RHEL. Having been down a freebie Linux route because  former MD (in a previous company) felt "free is best" (for who) was the way forward and hitting insoluble support problems (previously on RedHat with no issues) I do not want to venture there again!

• massimo.giacomello - Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:50 AM

xsevensinzx - Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:29 AM

massimo.giacomello - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:01 AM

There are plenty of reasons to fear Windows just as there is plenty of reasons to fear Linux. One of the main reasons that I feel many people chose Linux over Windows is open source. You have more control over your OS versus Windows. You felt as if you knew what was going on under the hood and more importantly, you can actually touch and change what's under that hood even beyond the OS. Some of the others was performance. Linux has generally performed better for longer than Windows, mostly because you have so much control. This has gotten better with Windows server over the years though. Of course, with more control comes with more complexity. Not everyone wants to be a C++, Java programmer just to be a sys admin to manage their OS's. I mean, who really wants to spend their day rebuilding the kernel. There are pretty clear pro's and con's IMHO.

Yes right but the Windows Server OS under SQL Server... does almost nothing! Usually it does not even have access to internet. Which kind of special controls you may need?
    I understand you may require special controls over your application server, which can be everything: Linux, MacOS and AmigaOS too.

If by almost nothing you mean it gets matched, monitored and supported by the same systems, tools and teams that do that for all the other windows servers in the enterprise.  So yes I guess that's almost nothing if you only have 1 windows server sitting there running MS SQL and everything else it on something else.

• The need to have that other server, a separate patch process, possible separate authentication, is an impediment to some, not all.

We'll see if this actually helps SQL Server grow in other spaces.

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply