NT Domain Change

• We are in the process of changing from the 'apple' domain to the 'peach' domain. The servers and the service accounts have already been changed to the new 'peach' domain.

Now we need to get the nt logins changed and assume that apple\johnsmith will be peach\johnsmith.

This is what I think the steps are

1. Find the 'apple' logins on the box

2. Script out above and change them to 'peach' logins

3. Find out database roles for the 'apple' logins

4. Find out the server roles for the 'apple' logins

5. Drop the 'apple' logins (can't have apple\jsmith and peach\jsmith with access to the same database)

6. Grant database access and role membership to the 'peach' logins.

I've seen a script on this site to assist with the database role info. But I guess I'm hoping that someone has already had to go thru this and might have (and be willing to share) what they did.

thanks

donna

• Havent tried it, doesn't sound fun. Seems like you could shortcut it, what you need to know is the SID for the new account. If you have that, you could update sysxlogins to reflect new name and SID, then you'd have to update each db's sysusers table as well, or you'd have orphaned users. Upside would be you don't have to worry about losing permissions or saving them out.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• You could also create a SQL Login, then change the ownership of all the objects to that sql login, change the domain and logins, and then reconfigure the server for the new win logins

• thanks for the ideas. Using sysxlogins looks like it should work. Still doing testing to make sure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply