NT's System Monitor

• Hi,

I desperately need help regarding SYSTEM MONITOR (Windows 2000 Server). I'm currently implementing a baselining exercise. I'm trying to get System monitor to activate itself in the morning and turn itself off in the late afternoon. It has to do this Monday to Friday. However, when looking at the options in System monitor, it doesn't permit me to schedule for multiple days. I remember with the old Windows NT PERFMON could be activated from the command-line (it still can.. but i can't seem to turn it off using the command line!). This was useful because i could schedule it via a DOS batch file. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Cheers

Dhiruj

(currently running Windows 2000 with SQL Server 2000 SP2)

• I do this using a tool called typeperf. However typeperf can be a headache because you have to send a keystroke to the console to exit. So what I have is a dts package that using a vbscript to execute typeperf and send a keystroke. Then I I have another package that modifies the csv file and loads it into my performance database. It runs each day from 7-7. The only problem is that the dts which runs typeperf is causing a large cpu hit about 50%. I'm not sure why as when I run typeperf from the cmd prompt I don't have the same hit. This is ok for me right now since the server I am running it from isn't used for anything else right now but this.

• Thanks Kay.. i too am aware of this solution (VB Macro Keystrokes) as it was something i have seen practiced in a company. However there must be a more elegant solution!!! 🙂

• Yes I would hope so. I am in the process of evaluating Precise's Indepth for sql server, Net Iq's App Manager and also using Oracle Enterprise Manager pointed to sql server. Hopefully one of these tools will do it. We currently use a tool by Compuware called ecotools but the reporting is terrible on the tool so I have just been querying the database directly to get the info I wanted for a baseline. It's not as granular as I would like because ecotools only grabs performance info every 10 minutes.

• Unfortunately i have not got the luxury of using external tools as I'm trying to use whatever is available within SQL Server itself. Would querying sysperfinfo every few minutes solve your dilemma (re: gathering perf stats)? I seem to remember seeing a script on this site which used this method:-)

• System monitor shows you real time performance on your server. You can schedule to log the performance into log files using counter logs under performance logs and alters.

• True Allen_Cui.. but it doesn't permit me to schedule for multiple days!

• Set it up in schedule tab once you create log file.

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 06/17/2003 12:10:23 PM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply