NULL in WHERE CLAUSE

• I am currently going through some of my predecesors code and came across something that does not make sense. I have included the code below:

SELECT

A.providerCode,

A.practiceCode,

A.POD,

A.activityMonth,

A.activity,

A.cost,

A.highCostRiskPool,

FROM

PBC_Budget_v_Actuals BvA RIGHT OUTER JOIN

vw_PBC_Report_Actuals A ON BvA.providerCode = A.providerCode AND BvA.practiceCode = A.practiceCode AND BvA.POD = A.POD AND

BvA.activityMonth = A.activityMonth AND BvA.highCostRiskPool = A.highCostRiskPool

WHERE

BvA.providerCode IS NULL

I do not understamd the significance of the Null in the where clause. The join is based on BvA.providerCode = A.providerCode etc. IF BvA.providerCode IS NULL then how can the join criteria work.

• Because it is a RIGHT OUTER JOIN the WHERE clause is saying give me all the rows in vw_PBC_Report_Actuals that do NOT have a corresponding row in PBC_Budget_v_Actuals. This limits the output to only missing rows.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• eseosaoregie (2/17/2009)

I am currently going through some of my predecesors code and came across something that does not make sense. I have included the code below:

SELECT

... FROM

PBC_Budget_v_Actuals BvA

RIGHT OUTER JOIN

vw_PBC_Report_Actuals A

ON BvA.providerCode = A.providerCode

AND BvA.practiceCode = A.practiceCode

AND BvA.POD = A.POD

AND BvA.activityMonth = A.activityMonth

AND BvA.highCostRiskPool = A.highCostRiskPool

WHERE

BvA.providerCode IS NULL

I do not understamd the significance of the Null in the where clause. The join is based on BvA.providerCode = A.providerCode etc. IF BvA.providerCode IS NULL then how can the join criteria work.

The query has a right outer join so all [A] records will be included even if no matching [BvA] record is encountered. The NULL criteria then filters the result set to only include [A] records with no matching [BvA] records.

• Thanks. I forgot that it was a RIGHT outer join.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply