Null to Not Null

• Hi!

I'm a newbie working with SQL Server (2000) and need some assistance in updating several float fields in a table. Currently, the fields have no default value and allow nulls. I want to alter the table so nulls are not allowed and set a default value as 0.

There are records in the table that may/may not have nulls in the fields. What is the best way to handle this, without blowing away the data or the table? The SQL Server doco says to add a new field and copy the data to it, then blow away the old field. Isn't there an easier way of handling this?

Thanks,

Linda Boumarafi

GTN Inc.

LBoumarafi@GTNInc.com

• You have to drop and recreate the table. You can make a new table, move the data, and then rename it (after dropping the old table). This is what will happen in Enterprise Manager if you make the change there.

Make the change in the table designer and then click the "Script" button to see what will run. This is the button that has the save disk with a scroll image on it.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Update the data so there are no NULLs in the table

update table set floatcol=0 where floatcol is null

Then use an alter statement to remove change the NULLABILITY

alter table <your table> alter column floatcol float not null

Then add a DEFAULT constraint to the table.

Not 100% sure of the syntax:

alter table with nocheck add DEFAULT df_table_floatcol = 0

This keeps your table intact.

• Here is some code to change the not null and default value for a column:

create table xxx(xxx char(1) not null, yyy char(1))

insert into xxx (xxx) values ('x')

select * from xxx

update xxx

set yyy = 0

where yyy is null

alter table xxx

alter column yyy char(1) not null

ALTER TABLE xxx WITH NOCHECK ADD

CONSTRAINT df_yyy DEFAULT ('0') FOR yyy

insert into xxx (xxx) values ('x')

select * from xxx

drop table xxx

Gregory Larsen, DBA

If you looking for SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• Thank you everyone who responded. Earlier today before posting, I managed to blow away first the data and then the table in the test database!

I was concerned that accomplishing this task would be involved. Based on your comments, I managed to accomplish the task by scripting the updates to set the fields to zero and modifying the table to not allow nulls, followed by a script to add the constraints. This time all went according to plan!

Linda

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply