NUMA

• SQLkiwi (7/26/2011)

can you create soft-NUMA nodes with CPUs 1 and 2?

>> Yes.

If the question had asked:

can you create a soft-NUMA node with CPUs 1 and 2?

>> No.

🙁

That threw me off. Didn't realize it was really asking for the singular.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Good questin I just need to slow down and read more carefully.

• I'm not sure that "nodes" was that confusing, but I've reworded it. I don't see a problem with the change.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/26/2011)

I'm not sure that "nodes" was that confusing, but I've reworded it. I don't see a problem with the change.

I can only speak for myself - I found myself trying guess whether the questioner was being sneaky or not. I hadn't noticed that this was a Steve Jones question; if I had I would have estimated lower on the sneak-o-meter. Not a big deal, either way.

• Nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Nice question. Thanks Steve.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/26/2011)

I'm not sure that "nodes" was that confusing, but I've reworded it. I don't see a problem with the change.

It's a good question now.

When I saw the question yesterday I wasn't sure what it meant (the wording mappeared to mean one thing, requiring the answer YES, but I was pretty sure it was intended to mean another thing, requiring the answer NO. I guessed that it would be reworded quickly, if it was wrong, so decided to look again thios morning and if it hadn't changed answer YES but if it had changed answer NO. When I looked at it a couple of minutes ago, it had changed, and I answered NO. So I'm am absolutely sure that "nodes" instead of "a node" was confusing. Looks like Paul was too.

Look at it this way: I can create 4 soft NUMA nodes, each having exactly one CPU. One of of those nodes is the node containing CPU1 and another is the node containing CPU2. So I can create soft NUMA nodes containg CPU1 and CPU2. I can't create a single soft NUMA node containing both, but the original wording didn't ask if I could do that.

Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply