Number of columns in Reporting services

• Hello, I'm working with reporting services development reports with too many columns. I want to know if there are a maximun number of columns or a optimun number of columns per report to allow a good performance.

Thanks!!

• The report can hold X number of columns ... it all depends on how fast can your SP can spit out the data... if you have a lot of joins ... try this to speed up things

From tblEmployee with(nolock)

Inner Join tblAddress with(nolock)

On tblEmployee.EmployeeID = tblAddress.EmployeeID

Do a little performance tuning first, then if its Reporting Services try doing a reporting web farm.... hope this helps some.. 

Moe C

• Then the maximum or optimum number of columns is not by reporting services but by SQL.

I mean that I have to try not use so many fields in the stored procedured to get a good performance. May be if I have to group or index by fields I can not use more than an specific number of fields??, Do you know if SQL says something about an optimun number of fields?

The problem is that the other day I said to my boss that reporting can not use more than 20 columns to obtain a good performance(I was sure that I had read something similar about this,but I can not find anything).. and now he wants documentation or a link where is said something about this...

• Well i got this one report that i have well over 20 columns, and it was pretty slow at first but after going into SQL and doing some performance enhancing like that nolock thing and indexing the fields i had in the where clause and try not having more then 2 or 3 joins and it comes up pretty fast...also my SP go off views and not the direct tables themselves... the other thing i also did was do a reporting web farm... i have well over 2,000 dealerships and well over 300 banks hitting our site daily...  maybe if i could see the RDL file and the SP i can help a little bit... let me know....

Moe C

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply