Obfuscation in SQL 2000

• Hello,

I work for a company that is looking into encrypting data such as credit card numbers in a SQL 2000 database.  I know Oracle has a "hacker proof" encryption algorithm built into dbms_obfuscation toolkit.

Short of writing our own algorithm (or buying a 3rd party encryption package) does anyone have any idea if SQL 2000 has something built in to encrypt/decrypt data?

Thanks in advance for your help.

AJR

• I know protegrity software make software something on those lines using extended procs.

• Thanks for your response.  Leads me to believe that SQL 2000 cannot encrypt data internally.  If anyone knows otherwise, please fill me in.

Thanks,

AJR

• Take a look at BOL: Microsoft® SQL Server™ encrypts or can encrypt: Any data sent between the client and the server as network packets etc etc, but has no available algorithms to encrypt data in the Db !. Regards, j.

• SQL Server has no documented internal mechanism for encrypting/decrypting data in this manner. Microsoft will point you to the use of third parties. Protegrity is one such vendor.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thank you for all the responses!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply