Obscure error... m_activeSdesList.head()?

• Hmmm...we have an old SQL 2000 server system, currently patched to SP4 and Hotfix 2282, which has suddenly started returning this type of error:

[font="Courier New"]DESCRIPTION: Error: 0, Severity: 19, State: 0

SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 71 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.[/font]

When digging in the windows logs, I found this:

[font="Courier New"]

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MSSQLSERVER

Event Category: (2)

Event ID: 17055

Date: 5/7/2010

Time: 11:04:25 PM

User: N/A

Computer: SQLSERVER

Description:

17066 :

SQL Server Assertion: File: <proc.c>, line=1606

Failed Assertion = 'm_activeSdesList.Head () == NULL'.

[/font]

I am curious if anyone knows what this could be? I have DBCC CheckDB'd the databases, including system ones, and they passed fine. Our app folks say there has been nothing new going on and no obvious hardware problems I can detect in the windows logs.

Any suggestions as this seems to be quite obscure? Most stuff I've seen online says to patch, but this is already at the latest SP4 for SQL 2000. As this is production, I hesitate to reboot the server without a good reason.

Thanks in advance.

Gaby

• It's a bug still - unlikely to be fixed. Call in to Product Support so they know you hit it - call will be free as it's a bug.

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Paul Randal (5/8/2010)

It's a bug still - unlikely to be fixed. Call in to Product Support so they know you hit it - call will be free as it's a bug.

Thanks Paul, I got a chance to check with the system admins later on after I posted this, as well as talking with the developer upstairs. It seems that there may be a possible issue of parallelism on this server (currently it's set to max of 8 even though we have 16 cores). A new project was deployed a week or so ago which resulted in a whole bunch of extra connections and the sysadmins noticed a lot of svchost entries and nothing apparently wrong with the memory. I did eventually get permission from the business to fail over, but I suspect this will occur again. Is it possible this may be what caused the issue? I'll still log the issue with Microsoft.

[edit] quick update, we've decided to keep the server failed over to the secondary node of our cluster until we're sure nothing is abnormal with the primary node, but I'm suspecting this will occur again. There's an upgrade request to SQL 2008 Enterprise in the pipeline for this server, I hope.

Thanks.

Gaby

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply