Obtaining previous SQL Server 2000 Service Packs (sp2)

• All,

Can anyone help me out here?  I am scheduled to upgrade the hardware on a SQL Server.  Currently the build is Windows NT 4.0 SP6, SQL 2000 SP2, we are not only upgrading the hardware but are upgrading the OS to Windows 2003 Server, am I right in remembering that Windows 2003 Server requires SQL 2000 SP3 as a minimum?

I am obviously concerned that we are changing a lot of variables here, hardware, OS and SQL Service Pack.  I am planning on upgrading the h/w, OS and installing SQL 2000 SP3 to a reliable state, then upgrade to SQL SP4 in the future.  Has anyone else experienced any hidden gotchas doing a similar upgrade?  Would I be better of doing a parallel NT 4.0 install on the new hardware, then perform a seperate OS upgrade?

Any comments will be much appreciated?

ll

• All,

Sorry for the misleading Subject.  I had a silly 5 minutes and was going to ask how to acquire older SQL Service packs, (i.e. SP2) then remembered about 2003 Servers SQL SP3 requirements.

ll

• "Windows 2003 Server requires SQL 2000 SP3"

MS ONLY supports SQL 2000 SP3 or higher on Windows 2003 Server.

No idea of the best way to upgrade, but I would upgrade to SP3a myself before moving to Win2003.

Note since you are on NT 4.0 I would first make sure that the MDAC 2.8 works with your app before going to Win2003.

Tim S

• Tim,

Thanks for the suggestion, I have updated our migration plan to include applying sp3a to the NT4.0 server and testing before performing any subsequent upgrades, helps to cut down the amount of changes made at once.  Valid point about MDAC 2.8, hopefully this shouldn't be too much of a stumbling block as the majority of Production applications are written in ASP.NET and are proven against MDAC 2.7.

Thanks again,

ll

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply