ODBC system DSN connection

• I have a server with lots of ODBC system DSNs set up which connect to an Oracle database (this is part of a 3rd party application)

What I need to do is set up a nightly SSIS load to bring in the data from the underlying tables of the DSNs into SQL Server.

Normally I'd design my SSIS package on my local PC - in this case however as the DSNs lie on the server and not on my PC, I presume I'd have to design my SSIS package by using BIDS directly on the server itself? I can't see a way in SSIS to create a connection manager that corresponds to a remote system DSN.

Could someone confirm whether this is the case, or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• mazzz (10/26/2010)

I have a server with lots of ODBC system DSNs set up which connect to an Oracle database (this is part of a 3rd party application)

What I need to do is set up a nightly SSIS load to bring in the data from the underlying tables of the DSNs into SQL Server.

Normally I'd design my SSIS package on my local PC - in this case however as the DSNs lie on the server and not on my PC, I presume I'd have to design my SSIS package by using BIDS directly on the server itself? I can't see a way in SSIS to create a connection manager that corresponds to a remote system DSN.

Could someone confirm whether this is the case, or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

I can't confirm, but I believe you're correct.

Another option is to recreate the DSNs on your computer. That means you have to install those drivers used by those DSN onto your computer. This might be easier than doing the development on the server, and it would be a better option.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (10/26/2010)

Another option is to recreate the DSNs on your computer. That means you have to install those drivers used by those DSN onto your computer. This might be easier than doing the development on the server, and it would be a better option.

Thanks Alvin

It looks like it's not a simple case of installing the drivers locally, and we would be getting into client licence weirdness. Oh well, it's not the end of the world - there's only one developer involved and it's a fairly one-off bit of work, on a server dedicated to the purpose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• mazzz (10/26/2010)

Alvin Ramard (10/26/2010)

Thanks Alvin

It looks like it's not a simple case of installing the drivers locally, and we would be getting into client licence weirdness. Oh well, it's not the end of the world - there's only one developer involved and it's a fairly one-off bit of work, on a server dedicated to the purpose.

You're welcome.

I was expecting that response. Oh well.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply