ODBC won't connect on Windows XP

• Windows XP PRO won't connect through DSN unless the user is a local Administrator. Win 2000 Pro is fine as power user but XP - no way. I've never seen issues like this.

When I look at the ODBC setup the Connect to SQL for defaults is checked I can't connect but when it's off I can connect but the settings in the other screens are different. Plus if I set up the system DSN as an admin user, when I login as a non-admin the system dsn doesn't have the new settings.

We don't want local admin for our regular users so I need to find a way around this.

The version of the sqlsrv32.dll is 2000.81.9030.04 and 2000.81.7712.0 they have the same problem.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks, Kelsey

• Do you have anything else installed on the system, such as an older version of Crystal Reports? May be a registry permissions problem.

What happens when you create a File DSN?

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/shop/product.asp?ProductID=NI-SQL1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• They are pretty basic installs. I reset the reg permissions from special to full control and it still didn't make a difference.

More details...

When I launch the access 97 program that is trying to link in the SQL tables, I get an error Connection failed .. Invalid connection string attribute. But then I get the SQL Server login box and if I check Use trusted connection, it continues linking without error. The program runs fine. I checked the registry for the DSN and Trusted_Connection is Yes.

From the DSN, if the Connect to SQL Server to obtain default settings is checked, it just gives a timeout error.

Of course, these all go away if the user is a local admin.

The SQL Server is 2000 Enterprise SP 3 running on Win 2000 Advanced Server.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Kelsey

• It still sounds like a security issue to me. Can you temporarily grant local admin rights to the domain user's sign-on, create a System DSN, then revoke the local admin rights? Alternately, I'd guess your domain admin probably has local rights to the machine; perhaps try signing on with domain admin to create a System DSN. I prefer System DSNs over User DSNs as people sometimes don't use the same machine to sign-on, but it depends on how strict your business is and if the users in the area share the app. I've also noticed a tightening under Win XP Pro, I was able to solve this using the domain admin to create the System DSNs. Hope this helps.

• We only use system DSN's which is one of the reasons this is so frustrating. Even if the DSN is created by a domain admin or if the user is local admin and creates them, as soon as the user is not a local admin the ODBC fails.

I'm not too familiar with XP is there something different in the install that affects security?

Thanks

Kelsey

• just make this user local admin temporarily, setup the DSN, then you can revoke his/hers rights to regular user; will work OK

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply