Odd SQL issue - locked up server

• No reoccurence last night. This is probably going to be one of those once-off mysteries that never get solved. Did get a nice perfmon trace over the entire night that should work as a baseline.

DTC is running.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • With DTC running, you need to keep a lookout for orphaned transactions. They're crafty little buggers that like to hide and can really hose the system. (I know - we encountered them just a few weeks ago.) They don't show up on their own, but do show up as blocking SPID's in sp_who.

Here's the reference I found on it when I was troubleshooting:

http://dis4ea.blogspot.com/2006/07/spid-2-2-44-hud-hud.html

In our case, we had developers connecting and running processes via their IDE's and just exiting out without a clean disconnect from SQL Server. (No, not a production system fortunately.)

I did a write-up on what I found beyond what's mentioned in the link above. Maybe I should submit it to here as information on this is quite lacking. I even found some comments by MVP's who were stating there is no such thing.

• I haven't seen orphened transactions on this particular server. One of our other servers gets them often (usually from jdbc connections)

I chatted with a SQL engineer and he suggested that the following may apply. Currently gettign some benchmarks. No reoccurences yet *crosses fingers*

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937745

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply