OENXML and UPDATE

• Hello all,

I am using SQL Server 2000 and OPENXML to insert and update multiple tables in a database. The xml string is passed into a stored proc.

Inserts are straightforward. Updates are more of a challenge. I won't know until runtime which of many optional elements will be present in the xml for record updates and I want to update only the data in these elements.

Can anyone suggest a general approach for this?

Thanks!

Jonathan

• Could you post an example? (DDL, sample data, expected results.)

Anyway, unless you know the XML Schema in advance you're pretty much in a world of trouble. Then again, why wouldn't you know the schema in advance...?

ML

---
    Matija Lah, SQL Server MVP
    http://milambda.blogspot.com

• I do know the schema; the issue is that many of the elements are otional and if they are not supplied I don' want to overwrite the old value with null in an UPDATE. I ended up doing the following:

UPDATE dbo.tblPax

SET

PaxPassportNumber = CASE WHEN shred.Number IS NULL THEN PaxPassportNumber ELSE shred.Number END,

PaxPassportExpirationDate = CASE WHEN shred.ExpirationDate IS NULL THEN PaxPassportExpirationDate ELSE shred.ExpirationDate END,

PaxPassportCountry = CASE WHEN shred.Country IS NULL THEN PaxPassportCountry ELSE shred.Country END

FROM

OPENXML (@iTree, 'BatchObject/BatchObjectPackage/Application/Student/Passport',2)

WITH

(

Number varchar(50),

ExpirationDate datetime,

Country varchar(2)

) shred

WHERE

PaxID = @PaxID

I am checking for null, if null use the old value.

Thanks for your reply!

Jonathan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply