Offensive Language in DB

• I am interested in hearing about strategies and solutions that others may have put in place to identify offensive language in the database and cleans it. Specifically:

1) How to perform a mass cleanup of existing offensive language (in all of its variants)

2) How to control/audit its entry into the database

Thanks!

• I have to admit, I never really thought of this as a problem..

CEWII

• Normally a dictionary file/table is used or a filter. most websites or forums utilise this form of strategy. similiar to how sql injection is basically dealt with. all input is validated/filtered before posts are accepted into the forums or data entered into the database.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Well, I've not really ever had to deal with this matter either.

But my thought is simply to make sure you capture the UserID and current date/time whenever someone makes a text entry into a database table. Then you can display the UserID + date/time along with the context of any text messages.

That way everyone will see who is using offensive language, and people will take it upon their own initiative to deal with that person as appropriate...

A sample text display might look like:

[Bob Smith, 10/19/2009 8:00 AM said] "You people are a bunch of a$$ holes"

Well, just a thought. Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply