OLAP CUBES

• Hi,

I have been asked by my Project Server admin to delete two databases from Project Server. These are OLAP cubes but I am unable to see a way, either in SMS or Visual Studio to drop/delete these objects. I am running sql 2005 and Project Server 2007.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• If you must drop those databases ask for it in writing and get your boss to approve it because in the 2003 version of Project Server the CUBES are .sql files so you have to know SQL Server to find them.

Project Server comes with a lot of proprietry SQL Server components so I don't think you can drop them if the person have used the CUBES because most of the Project costing and aggregation is in those CUBES.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks for your prompt reply. I do need to drop these databases but cannot locate them in order to do it elegantly. I cannot see them in SMS and can only open them within Visual Studio as a project (*.sln files). I can see no way in Visual Studio itself to do drop/delete these datacubes... 'delete' from the Edit menu or even 'exclude from project' are all greyed out!!

Any ideas?

• That may relate to how it was delpoyed at your place because I remember reading Project Server 2007 installs 10 or 12 databases by default so I think you are trying to delete one of these. Lets hope you are not using the current installation of project to do any calculations.

Here is a book that may help and if you are in Analysis Service in SMS then you are looking in the wrong place all the CUBES are in .sql files in the relational engine SMS.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197597.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• (deleted - off topic & spam)

• gandaria700 (9/1/2009)

This course is designed to be used with the Business Intelligence Platform for 9.1.3. The course contains four lessons that teach you how to create and view OLAP cubes.

The lessons in this course contain interactive questions and quizzes, along with numerous opportunities to learn and practice in a simulated SAS environment.

This course enables you to select the version of software you are using and the content of the course changes to correspond to your selected version.

Please stop posting your spam this thread is not related to SAS it is related to Microsoft proprietary implementation of dimension modeling in Project server.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks GP!

The technet article was what I needed.

Appreciate your help and effort on this.

• jac.putney (9/2/2009)

Thanks GP!

The technet article was what I needed.

Appreciate your help and effort on this.

I am glad I could help.

🙂

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• In practice, OLAP functions allow application developers to compose analytic business queries more easily and more efficiently. For example, moving averages and moving sums can be calculated over various intervals; aggregations and ranks can be reset as selected column values change; and complex ratios can be expressed in simple terms.

I've gained a profitable knowledge from an e-book. The [font="Verdana"]book is available on Amazon[/font] & you can buy an e-book directly from the publisher by writing OLAPWorldPress@gmail.com.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply