OldSQL

• I think three years is a nice timeline for the evolution of the product and time for some people to pick up new skills. It's too often for most companies to upgrade, but if you think about skipping every other version and running on a 6 year cycle, that's not too bad and keeps you close to support timelines.

• Our upgrade from SQL2000 was a multi-million dollar project with signoff from the CEO. I doubt we will be changing anytime soon.

• Due to compatibility issues in applications, I have had to run several instances of SQL 2000. We virtualized those servers and they still run just fine. I would prefer to upgrade so i can take advantage of other features on those servers - but there is no pressing need.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• the situation during extended support seemed to have changed which piqued my curiosity so I asked our MS contact what the rules are. I post his answer below which I think covers it well. The info is available elsewhere in the public domain but this brings it together well (IMHO)

'Mainstream Support

Mainstream Support is the first phase of the product Support Lifecycle.

This phase begins at support General Availability and is provided for 5 years or for 2 years after the successor product (N+1) is released, whichever is longer.

At the supported service pack level this phase provides:

· Problem Resolution Support

o Paid Problem Resolution Support

§ Premier

§ Professional

§ Credit Card (?Pay Per Incident?)

o No-charge Problem Resolution Support

· Support Assistance

· No charge security updates (all criticalities)

· Security update support

· The ability to request non-security hotfixes

Extended Support

Extended Support is the second phase of the product Support Lifecycle and is only available for Business and Development products. This phase begins at the end of the Mainstream Support phase and is provided for 5 years or for 2 years after the second successor product (N+2) is released, whichever is longer.

At the supported service pack level this phase provides:

· Problem Resolution Support

o Paid Problem Resolution Support

§ Premier

§ Professional

§ MSDN/Technet

§ Credit Card (?Pay Per Incident?)

· Support Assistance

· No charge security updates (Security updates only)

· Security update support

The major differences between the Mainstream Support phase and the Extended Support phase are the following:

· No-charge Problem Resolution Support is not available

· We no longer accept product design change requests (DCRs)

or provide new feature functionality

· We no longer provide new non-security hotfixes without

enrollment in Extended Hotfix Support

Extended Hotfix Support Agreement (EHSA) During the Extended Support phase we no longer provide non-security hotfixes without enrollment in the Extended Hotfix Support program. Simply put, the Extended Hotfix Support program provides the ability to request non-security hotfixes for products that are in the Extended Support phase.

Extended Hotfix Support only provides the opportunity to request a non-security hotfix for a new bug discovered during the Extended Support phase. It has no impact on your ability to request support, security updates, or other non-security hotfixes created during the Mainstream Support phase.

To enroll in Extended Hotfix Support, you must have a Premier Support contract and must enroll in the program within the first 90 days of the product entering the Extended Support phase.

The only exception to the 90 day enrollment rule is if you have Software Assurance which includes the program fee for Extended Hotfix Support and allows you to enroll at any time.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply