one character of data

• tony.sawyer (6/17/2009)

Paul White (6/17/2009)

It might pay those bemoaning the quality of the question to submit a better one...?

Ooh theres a challenge... Where do we send them? 🙂

Hey Tony,

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Contributions/New/Question

There is a link on the QOD page, but it isn't very noticable...

Have fun! I look forward to trying your question 🙂

• David Burrows (6/17/2009)

I don't think it was sloppy at all.

Don't be put off by the bemoaning of the few. 🙂

Some QOTD have suffered with the answers but I think that if they are corrected/enhanced then all for the good, they stir up a good debate. We are all here the learn (well I am anyway).

Right with you on that David! :w00t:

To be fair, it wasn't the best question of the year...:-D...but then again maybe it was - for the debate that ensued.

Paul

• It certainly wasn't worse than some of mine. It's hard to write a good question and consider all the angles.

VM has tried, though, and submitted a dozen or so that will come out over the next few months. I think there are some good ones in there.

• Paul White (6/17/2009)

Hey Tony,

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Contributions/New/Question

There is a link on the QOD page, but it isn't very noticable...

Have fun! I look forward to trying your question 🙂

Erm - is there a link that we don't have to install an ActiveX control - my network admin isn't keen on that sort of thing...

• Paul White (6/17/2009)

It might pay those bemoaning the quality of the question to submit a better one...?

😎

Heh heh! Good point, Paul!

Since I already did submit a few questions some time ago (and got the flak I deserved for my share of sloppiness), I know first-hand how hard it is to foresee everything. No matter how hard you try to make the question as unambiguous and clear as possible, the number of people visiting this site is so high that some of them are bound to be more imaginative!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

Erm - is there a link that we don't have to install an ActiveX control - my network admin isn't keen on that sort of thing...

Not to my knowledge. Steve has just posted so he might notice your question and reply.

It's not a very dangerous piece of software - try submitting from home...?

😀

• Hugo,

Just for the record, I include myself in the set of members who should submit a question!

Scary!

Paul

• I love good thick porkchops:-D

• WOW! I'm waiting for questions from you guys!:-)

No, we don't have one. The ActiveX is the XStandard editor, fairly well known in the world. You can check them out.

If you'd like to just email one, send it to articles at sqlservercentral dot com

and include a question, 2-6 answers, mark the correct one(s), and include an explanation with a URL that backs it up.

• For my case, I ll vote t char(1), as I am not dealing with any UNICODE data. Hence, space is more important to me rather tha flexibility.

• good for you, when you make an assumption you make an A$$ out of who and who?

not me-- I choose NCHAR or NVARCHAR, because it's not fair to take your assumptions and shove them into your code.

design to spec-- if it's not specified, plan for the worst or ask for clarification.

who is to tell me which country the question-asker was in?

If I knew that-- then I would know the answer, most likely.

But still-- it's not fair to assume anything ever.

• varchar(1) is definitely wrong because it adds an overhead to the table

• if you have ever worked with localization, the answer is clearly nchar(1)...

• dblanchard (7/9/2009)

if you have ever worked with localization, the answer is clearly nchar(1)...

Im with you there...nchar(1).

No character set was specified....so I have to choose unicode to handle all possibilities.

one character is not synonymous with one byte so I'm STILL using unicode

Cannot be null or emptystring......so no need to choose a variable length datatype.

nchar(1) is the most correct answer IMHO so thats what i chose. I lobby for the answer to be changed.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 182 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply