One of the most complex Views i have ever seen (View nested into another view)

• Thanks Scott,

How do I fix this code:

AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed BETWEEN getdate() - 25 AND getdate() - 20

I only need getdate() -21, but that's giving me blank output

• SQLPain (9/14/2015)

Thanks Scott,

How do I fix this code:

Use DATEADD

😎

AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY,-25,getdate()) AND DATEADD(DAY,-20, getdate())

• Thanks Errikur,

I only want results from past 21 days, I tried this also:

AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed = DATEADD(DAY,-21,getdate())

Still gives me a blank result set

• SQLPain (9/14/2015)

Thanks Scott,

How do I fix this code:

WHERE ... AND

AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed >= DATEADD(DAY, DATEDIFF(DAY, 0, GETDATE()) - 25, 0) AND

AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed < DATEADD(DAY, DATEDIFF(DAY, 0, GETDATE()) - 19, 0)

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• SQLPain (9/14/2015)

Thanks Errikur,

I only want results from past 21 days, I tried this also:

AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed = DATEADD(DAY,-21,getdate())

Still gives me a blank result set

Missed the 21 days:-P

😎

AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed BETWEEN CONVERT(DATE,DATEADD(DAY,-25,getdate()),0) AND CONVERT(DATE,getdate(),0)

Note, convert to date if you are not using the time part.

• Thanks Again, but this one is giving me all the results from the last 25 days till today...

why do we need a between clause if I only need records from (08/24/15) !!!

• SQLPain (9/14/2015)

Thanks Again, but this one is giving me all the results from the last 25 days till today...

why do we need a between clause if I only need records from (08/24/15) !!!

Change 25 to 21

😎

• Yes and that would give results from 0/81/15 till today....No help

• Sorry, slightly hurried and inaccurate

😎

CONVERT(DATE,AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed,0) = CONVERT(DATE,DATEADD(DAY,-21,getdate()),0)

• This happens to be a view query that needs to be run every night, needs to be converted to an excel file and email the attachment to couple of people.

Does any know the process I need to follow?

Do I have to uses SSIS ? or can I do it through the export wizard? and then set it up as SQl server job?

• SSIS, SSRS, maybe Powershell?

You can use the Export wizard to create an SSIS package, you'd need to modify the package to add the email & scheduling afterwards.

SSRS can generate the letters themselves if that's what you need.

• SQLPain (9/14/2015)

This happens to be a view query that needs to be run every night, needs to be converted to an excel file and email the attachment to couple of people.

Does any know the process I need to follow?

Do I have to uses SSIS ? or can I do it through the export wizard? and then set it up as SQl server job?

There are quite few ways of doing this, suggest you post this as a new question as it is entierly unrelated to the original post.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (9/14/2015)

Sorry, slightly hurried and inaccurate

😎

CONVERT(DATE,AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed,0) = CONVERT(DATE,DATEADD(DAY,-21,getdate()),0)

If your DateDetailDisposed column is a datetime data type, you might run into a performance problem here. Applying a function to a column in the table means that the function has to be applied to every row in the table before filtering out the rows. Using a date range to calculate the date range instead of converting the column in the table is generally a better way to go about it.

AND AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed >= DATEADD(day, DATEDIFF(day, 0, GETDATE()) - 21, 0)

AND AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed < DATEADD(day, DATEDIFF(day, 0, GETDATE()) - 20, 0)

• Ed Wagner (9/15/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (9/14/2015)

😎

If your DateDetailDisposed column is a datetime data type, you might run into a performance problem here. Applying a function to a column in the table means that the function has to be applied to every row in the table before filtering out the rows. Using a date range to calculate the date range instead of converting the column in the table is generally a better way to go about it.

AND AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed >= DATEADD(day, DATEDIFF(day, 0, GETDATE()) - 21, 0)

AND AppDetails.DateDetailDisposed < DATEADD(day, DATEDIFF(day, 0, GETDATE()) - 20, 0)

Actually, test it. Doing a CONVERT or CAST on a DateTime value DOES NOT always result in the Optimizer not being able to use an index on that column.

• Lynn Pettis (9/15/2015)

Ed Wagner (9/15/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (9/14/2015)

😎

Actually, test it. Doing a CONVERT or CAST on a DateTime value DOES NOT always result in the Optimizer not being able to use an index on that column.

I'd suggest avoiding any conversion of a table column for comparison unless you absolutely have to, even if for a specific case it works in a given query plan. It's just poor technique.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply