One pre SP3 problem has resurfaced with SP4

• Following problem was fixed in SP3 but has resurfaced with SP4

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321541/en-us

I came to know about this problem after I had already installed SP4.

Now uninstalling SP4 is an issue because it suggests that to uninstall SP4, reinstall SQL Server from the beginning and that is a problem for me because since the SQL Server installation lot of changes were done at the SQL Server level and applying all those changes again is a problem.

I know I cannot go to SP3 ( by just trying to install SP3) because it will find SP4 (newer release) and won't processed.

Question: Can someone please suggest how can I resolve this isse without actually reinstalling full SQL Server again. Is there a patch for the above problem which I can install on top of SP4?

Thanks

• Just to clear one thing, you may not see the exact same issue that is mentioned in the article example but the problem is pretty much same

Please see following example

/*

-- IF REQUIRED DROP TEST TABLES/VIEW THAT WE WILL BE CREATING IN NEXT STEPS TO CREATE SAMPLE DATA

DROP TABLE test_table1

DROP TABLE test_table2

DROP VIEW test_view1

*/

-- CREATE TWO TEST TABLES

SELECT 100 AS test_id INTO test_table1

SELECT 200 AS test_id INTO test_table2

-- CREATE A VIEW BASED ON ONE OF THE ABOVE MONTIONED TEST TABLE

CREATE VIEW test_view1 AS SELECT test_id, 'T' as 'some_test_value' FROM test_table2

-- CHECK THE DATA IN TABLE ONE AND VIEW AND EVERYTHING IS OK HERE

SELECT * FROM test_table1

SELECT * FROM test_view1

-- THIS IS THE PROBLEM PORTION, THE LAST COLUMN "some_test_value" SHOULD NOT BE GIVING " T " FOR LAST COLUMN (it should be NULL): ANY SUGGESTION WHY IT’S GIVING β€œ T ” ?

SELECT      test_table1.test_id,

test_view1.test_id,

test_view1.some_test_value

FROM  test_table1

LEFT OUTER JOIN test_view1  ON test_table1.test_id  = test_view1.test_id

-- The result is shown for the above query like following (actually the last column should be NULL instead of T )

test_id     test_id     some_test_value

----------- ----------- ---------------

100         NULL        T

• Just curious -- MS released a cumulative hotfix for service pack 4 in December:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=904660

Are you running build 2162?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply