Online T-SQL Scripts and Copyright

• Hi Brad,

thanks for this article, I was completely unaware of the issue. Just a question (that in my humble opinion has no answer): how could you prove that your code is the original and mine is just a copy-and-paste? Or, even better, we can find out the same solution, the same query independently of each other, then... we can be sure that it's really hard, if not impossible, to have legal troubles. Am I right?

• Ed Wagner (11/26/2016)

Personally, when I post code or offer advice, it's to help people someone. I hope I have what they need, so I also hope they can use it and learn from it. If someone comes across it in the future, I hope they can learn something from it, use it or adapt it to their particular problem. I'm aware of the copyright law, but I honestly don't think it should apply to absolutely everything. After all, if the intent is to help someone, wouldn't it make sense that you'd want them to use it? I would.

and

DamianC (11/25/2016)

Just a thought though, a lot of contractors that I know of have useful code that they carry around with them (particularly DBA's)

If the company owns this, where do they stand?

I couldn't agree more. And yes, an old post but still very important topic so thanks to Brad McGehee and SQL Server Central for bringing this up again.

I have always found it odd that companies hire techies and then decide that their work and knowledge belongs to the company. Their work, yes. But their knowledge? I bet the company wouldn't hire someone who had to "reinvent everything from scratch". So to me it is double standards more than anything: contractors develop tools which allows them to do a good job, fast, efficient, and as correct as they can make it. That is their value; and to me, they own it themselves. Regardless of contracts stating otherwise, they are paid to apply their knowledge, and the work resulting from it is subject to material rights.

Now, when good people help out others on the internet, they are 1) practicing their own skills by answering questions they don't make themselves, and 2) building their credits which in turn help them land the good jobs at the good pays. To me it would be very odd indeed not to answer questions and provide scripts (samples, examples, as well as comprehensive "tools") under a free license. Otherwise, these people should offer their help as consultants on a peer-to-peer basis, and not write on open forums.

• manie (11/25/2016)

I just realised that I posted a comment as if the is a new article and then realised it was posted in 2009. Still a very good article!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Its good that you did - I just read the article and it's very good. It gave me lots to think about.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• These folks who think their T-SQL snippets constitute an "original" work are self-deluded.

Byte me!

-- (c)2016 Eric Russell - All Rights Reserved

SELECT GETDATE()

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Robert.Sterbal (11/9/2012)

What is the current policy on this site?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/About/Terms

The content is copyrighted by authors, and its use is subject to copyright law.

• Search for ideas, understand what you are reading, then write your own using the ideas applied to your own environment. Don't copy.

• Iwas Bornready (11/28/2016)

Search for ideas, understand what you are reading, then write your own using the ideas applied to your own environment. Don't copy.

Is this why those of us who post helpful solutions and offer advice do so? Not me. When I post something, I hope that people use it and learn from it.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/28/2016)

Robert.Sterbal (11/9/2012)

It would be helpful to have a forum item to discuss the terms. Does one exist already?

412-977-3526 call/text

• An interesting note about trying to stop someone from using your script:

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/faqs/software/

412-977-3526 call/text

• robert.sterbal 56890 (11/28/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/28/2016)

Robert.Sterbal (11/9/2012)

It would be helpful to have a forum item to discuss the terms. Does one exist already?

Feel free to discuss here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Forum433-1.aspx

• I totally don't understand why someone would publish sample programming code on the public web and then expect other folks not to use it or even expect folks to ask permission prior to using it. As if your DMV query to return missing indexes is an original work of art or something. :satisfied:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (11/30/2016)

I totally don't understand why someone would publish sample programming code on the public web and then expect other folks not to use it or even expect folks to ask permission prior to using it. As if your DMV query to return missing indexes is an original work of art or something. :satisfied:

Some is trivial (get missing indexes), some isn't. I would prefer that people publish and help others learn, even if they want copyright and don't want someone to use that exact code. Rewriting someone else's code can be a good learning exercise.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/30/2016)

Eric M Russell (11/30/2016)

I totally don't understand why someone would publish sample programming code on the public web and then expect other folks not to use it or even expect folks to ask permission prior to using it. As if your DMV query to return missing indexes is an original work of art or something. :satisfied:

Some is trivial (get missing indexes), some isn't. I would prefer that people publish and help others learn, even if they want copyright and don't want someone to use that exact code. Rewriting someone else's code can be a good learning exercise.

I understand it's wrong to misrepresent someone else's work as my own. The original author wants credit for their effort. So, if I incorporate a sample of T-SQL into my toolkit or into an existing project, I'll retain any comments from the original author. I would consider published source code to be similar in concept to a cooking recipe. Someone, possibly a skilled professional, put effort into developing the perfect pumpkin pie, but if they publish step-by-step instructions on the web, they should expect folks will use it as is or in a modified form. It's just that when receiving compliments, I should give credit to the author and not pretend as if it were my own creation.

• Eric M Russell (11/30/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/30/2016)

Eric M Russell (11/30/2016)

I understand it's wrong to misrepresent someone else's work as my own. The original author wants credit for their effort. So, if I incorporate a sample of T-SQL into my toolkit or into an existing project, I'll retain any comments from the original author. I would consider published source code to be similar in concept to a cooking recipe. Someone, possibly a skilled professional, put effort into developing the perfect pumpkin pie, but if they publish step-by-step instructions on the web, they should expect folks will use it as is or in a modified form. It's just that when receiving compliments, I should give credit to the author and not pretend as if it were my own creation.

agreed +1

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply