Open Multiple SSMS from CMD using Run AS AND prompting for password once

• Greetz!

I've got a requirement to open multiple (4) instances of Management Studio in a batch file. Expensive I know but that's what they want. It has to be SSMS and it is an account that is logging in as a Windows Account as opposed to a username/password.

I've got a script that will loop but I'm passing the username and password. This one does not prompt for the password but fails to login because, I believe, the server only permits Windows Authentication:

Set _num = 0

Set /p pwd = "%=%"

:start

if %_num% == 3 goto end

'C:\Program files...sqlwb.exe" -S ServerName -U USername -P pwd

set /a _num += 1

go to start

:end

pause>nul

In the same loop i have also tried:

run as /user: domain\username "C:\Program files...sqlwb.exe"

but I am prompted for the password each time. If I add the -P parameter it fails with a scolding to enter the pwd only when prompted.

Is there a way to run a batch file, enter a password once for the RUNAS windows account and use that password in a loop with no more prompts?

Thanks in advance!

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

• So, if folks are wondering or trying to do the same thing, the RUNAS command does not provide a means to send a password with the command. it was deliberately left out of the command since it presents a security issue.

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

• ok several dumb questions here:

why do you need to do work via SSMS as different users? why not have a superuser do all the work?

why cna you not simply use EXECUTE AS ? in a single script?

why the extra trouble for logging in?

EXECUTE AS USER='mydomain\SomeGuy'

..do work

REVERT; --change back to sysadmin

EXECUTE AS USER='mydomain\AnotherGuy'

..do work

REVERT; --change back to sysadmin

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply