OPENQUERY - Is there any way to...

• Hi experts,

Is there any way to write a function such that it can dynamically return a string that can be used in the openquery() function?

I have data in a Pervasive db (a linked_server) that I am synchronizing into a SQL Server db. There is one table that is insert only and by using the reference_no of the last record that was synchronized during the last synchronization ('max(reference_no) as MaxRef' on the SQL Server table), I would like to query the Pervasive db for records where reference_no >= MaxRef

Maybe you have a different way of doing this. The crux of the issue is that there are 500,000+ records in the Pervasive table and only 8,000 or so added on a daily basis. The reference_no is unique and always increases so I want to just grab just the ones that have been added since the last time the synchronization ran.

Thanks very much

• Openquery and Link server both does not work for function.

Function only works within its own database.

• A late reply but I have done this recently. The problem is that you can only use static strings in openquery, not one that has been dynamically built up.

I got around this by creating an extended stored procedure through which you pass the linked server name and your dynamically built up SQL string. The extended stored procedure calls a small .NET assembly I created which runs the openquery statement using the current security context. It then pipes back the results to SQL server.

I can post the code later if anyone is stil interested. I notice that the original post was 2007 so sorry if this doesn't help the original poster.

• The method I used for a similar issue to the OP about a year ago was to build up the OPENQUERY() call inside a dynamic statement. Something along the lines of (from memory, not tested):

DECLARE @sql varchar(max), @DateModified datetime

SET @DateModified = GETDATE()

SET @sql = 'SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(''servername'',

''SELECT * FROM DBName WHERE DateModified = ''''' + @DateModified + ''''' ')

EXEC(@sql)

It made for a confusing amount of single quotes, but worked.

• If that works, thats even simpler than my solution. I'm sure I tried similar before I went down the extended stored proc route but failed miserably. Will give it a try when I get to work.:-)

• Nice one. That approach worked well against my linked server. I'll create a function to do the same but will probably escape out those single quotes with another character. They can get rather confusing.

• Heres the stored proc I created to do generic dynamic openquery selects...

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[LinkedServerQuery]

(

@LinkedServerName varchar(50),

@SQL varchar(max)

)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @LinkedSQL varchar(max)

SET @LinkedSQL = 'SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(' + @LinkedServerName + ','''+ REPLACE(@SQL, '@', '''''') + ''')'

EXEC (@LinkedSQL)

END

Heres an example of how to call it and store the results in a temporary table. Notice that I replace all quotes with @ in the query I run, this reduces confusion with single quotes everywhere.

DECLARE @testtemp TABLE

(

a varchar(50),

b varchar(50)

)

declare @SQL = 'select a, b from table where code=@0000020@'

insert @testtemp exec [dbo].[LinkedServerQuery] 'linkedservername', @SQL

select * from @testtemp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply