OR in JOIN condition

• Hi,

I have a FULL OUTER JOIN with an OR condition that's running very slowly. The reason is because I'm trying to join a users table (id, username1, username2) where one person may have two usernames with a systems table (username, system). I'm using a join like:

SELECT *

FROM users a

FULL OUTER JOIN

users_systems b ON ((a.username1 = b.username) OR (a.username2 = b.username))

I know the full outer join isn't the most efficient join, but I need it for a different reason. It's the OR that I believe is causing my query to run on for a long time. Is there a more efficient approach to using an OR in a join like I'm trying to do? I hope that make sense; If not, I can clarify.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

• Yes, that will make for a slow-running query. Try writing two separate queries, one to check for each condition, then UNION ALL to combine the records.

Roland Alexander 
    The Monday Morning DBA 
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. ~ Albert Schweitzer

• mikes84 (12/11/2012)

Hi,

I have a FULL OUTER JOIN with an OR condition that's running very slowly. The reason is because I'm trying to join a users table (id, username1, username2) where one person may have two usernames with a systems table (username, system). I'm using a join like:

SELECT *

FROM users a

FULL OUTER JOIN

users_systems b ON ((a.username1 = b.username) OR (a.username2 = b.username))

I know the full outer join isn't the most efficient join, but I need it for a different reason. It's the OR that I believe is causing my query to run on for a long time. Is there a more efficient approach to using an OR in a join like I'm trying to do? I hope that make sense; If not, I can clarify.

Thanks,

Mike

You could try a UNION to see whether that helps:

SELECT c1, c2

FROM users a

FULL OUTER JOIN

users_systems b ON ((a.username1 = b.username)

UNION ALL

SELECT c1, c2

FROM users a

FULL OUTER JOIN

users_systems b ON ((a.username1 = b.username)

OR (a.username2 = b.username))

Also, as I'm sure you know, SELECT * is not effecient.

Finally, have you got appropriate indexes on the users_systems and users tables?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks, guys. Very helpful!

Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply