OR VERSUS UNION all

• Hi !

I have a query like this (see below).

This query most of the time alwasy time out if there are many users tries to execute this query.

Is there a way to make this query faster ?

Can I use union all instead of OR?

I did add indexes to improve performance.

If i add index on column name , will the performance will be better?

I'm not sure replace function will cancel the index feature on column name.

Thanks

SELECT count(*)

FROM tableA

WHERE

( REPLACE(name, ' ', '') like @name OR

EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM tableB

WHERE tableB.orderid = tableA.id AND (ISNULL(tableB .lastname, '') + ISNULL(tableB .firstname, '')) like @fullname1

) OR

EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM tableC

WHERE tableC.orderid = tableA.id AND (ISNULL(tableC.lastname, '') + ISNULL(tableC.firstname, '')) like @fullname2

) OR

EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM tableD

WHERE tableD.orderid = tableA.id AND (ISNULL(tableD.lastname, '') + ISNULL(tableD.firstname, '')) like @fullname3

)

)

• Without any further information (e.g. actual execution plan) I'd expect table scans due to the non-SARGable columns in your WHERE clause.

Furthermore, the part "like @fullname1" might not work as you expect, depending on the value of @fullname1.

Missing indexes might be another issue.

Please attach the actual execution plan as sqlplan file. Maybe that'S enough to give you a few hints. If not, we'd need table defs including index definitions.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• I agree with LutzM but lets try breaking this down a little:

Since many may not understand "non-SARGable" lets just put it this way:

If you put a column in a function then an index will do you no good.

REPLACE(name, ' ', '') like @name

You don't make clear if @name will have wildcards, but from a performance point of view it would make more sense to put the space in @name rather than remove it from the name column

name like @name

If that is imposible then you could:

add a calculated column to tableA: name_no_space as REPLACE(name, ' ', '')

index that column

use name_no_space like @name in the where clause

Keep in mind that if @name begins with a wildcard then you will get a table scan every time.

Same logic applies to using the isnull() function in a where clause

Does this help you at all?

• Without diving into the details of your case I will answer one of the questions you had: "Can I use union all instead of OR".

Absolutely. Recently I helped a friend who had similar problem and instead of messing with crazy logic in the WHERE clause (with extremaly poor performance) I suggested using UNION and it worked like a charm.

Using UNION is his case helped because the criteria in the separate SELECTs used different indexes and trying to pull it off in a single query killed the index usage.

---------------------------------------------
    [font="Verdana"]Nothing is impossible.
    It is just a matter of time and money.[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply