Oracle create table syntax

• Can anyone explain to an Oracle novice why both of these create table statements run fine individually, but give an error when run in one batch

CREATE TABLE "TEST45" (ID NUMBER(5,0) NOT NULL ENABLE, DUMMY VARCHAR2(10), CONSTRAINT "TEST45_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ID") ENABLE);

CREATE TABLE "TEST46" (ID NUMBER(5,0) NOT NULL ENABLE, DUMMY VARCHAR2(10), CONSTRAINT "TEST46_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ID") ENABLE);

When run separately they work. When run in a single batch I get

ORA-00911: invalid character

Oracle 10g Express Edition

I have another 200 of these to create and I don't fancy doing it one by one. Is there a termination character that I've left out somewhere?

Thanks

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It shouldn't fail; my wild guess is that the batch file has some bad character, look:

oracle [6]:

oracle [6]: cat createtable.sql

CREATE TABLE "TEST45" (ID NUMBER(5,0) NOT NULL ENABLE, DUMMY VARCHAR2(10), CONSTRAINT "TEST45_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ID") ENABLE);

CREATE TABLE "TEST46" (ID NUMBER(5,0) NOT NULL ENABLE, DUMMY VARCHAR2(10), CONSTRAINT "TEST46_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ID") ENABLE);

oracle [7]:

oracle [7]: sqlplus /

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Fri Apr 24 17:27:11 2009

Copyright (c) 1982, 2006, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

Connected to:

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production

With the Partitioning, Oracle Label Security, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> @createtable.sql

Table created.

Table created.

SQL> select table_name from dba_tables where table_name like 'TEST4%';

TABLE_NAME

------------------------------

TEST46

TEST45

SQL> exit

Disconnected from Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production

With the Partitioning, Oracle Label Security, OLAP and Data Mining options

oracle [8]:

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • No odd characters, I checked, deleted and retyped pieces by hand. There's just a new line between the two (CR LF). I was wondering if I was missing a batch termination command or something.

Not using SQLPlus, I'm using the web interface that Oracle Express comes with. Shouldn't make a difference though

Not important. I'll finish running them one by one tomorrow.

Thanks

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I'm not that familiar with Oracle express interface.

I would set the proper ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID then open a SQLplus session and do it in one shot.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Hey Gail,

What client tool r u using to run ur Oracle create scripts? SQL Plus work sheet, Toad or SQL scratch Pad. I just ran ur scripts in SQL Plus worksheet and they ran fine. I know SQL Scratch pad doesnt allows u to execute multiple scripts

• Oracle Express has a web interface. i was using that. I think I'll find something else to use now.

Gail Shaw

• The character that is making a problem is (;)

It is used in Oracle when you make a script to end a command.

The problem is that some of the Oracle tools have separate execution modes "Execute a statement" and "Run Script".

Basically you receive an error when you try to run two or more statements separated by (;) in "Execute a statement" mode.

Run it as script and there will be no problem.

SQL Plus is running as script processor.

You have to put (;) at end of any SQL command, single or in script.

I hope I've been clear enough.

BR,

Aleksandar

• Thanks. That'll be useful in the future.

Gail Shaw

• You should use ( \ ) or ( / ) as script terminator instead of (;)! I'm not sure is "/" or "\" :hehe:

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• Yes you are right when using SQL*Plus.

(/) has e meaning of "run the script", or GO in MSSQL, and you have to use it at the end in order to execute the script by hitting "Enter".

(;) is used to end a SQL statement.

(/) in a file is used to group statements in executable batches.

For other programs like ApEx, SQL Tools you don't have to use (/) to start the execution. It's usually done by hitting F5 or F9 or some button named "execute" or "run"

• Hi,

are you using TOAD (Tool for Application Developers) with you oracle database? I'm also new to Oracle, and have realised you can't execute more that one select statement in a query window at the same time, i think that might be the same problem with the two tables youre trying to create!

Regards

Whenever I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead… true story!

• Not using Toad. As I mentioned already in the thread, I was using the web interface that Oracle Express has.

Gail Shaw

• Yes, the web interface of the oracle is very nice environment to work!

The TOAD has many tools, and sometimes you didn't know which one to use!

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• If you are using TOAD or any other tool, there is a menu option (under editor) 'execute as acript' (lightning symbol) which will execute all the selected statements as one script.

• As stated about four times already, I was using the web interface that comes with Oracle Express.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply