Oracle for SQL server DBA

• Hi,

Even though this thread is for SQL experts someone probably can help me to find free evaluation copy of Oracle 9i database?What good  book about   Oracle  to  start from? What email group is most helpful?

Thank  you,

Julia

• I can't help you on the book side as I'm not very Oracle savvy, but copies can be downloaded from Oracle's web site. You can find Oracle 9i towards the bottom:

http://otn.oracle.com/software/index.html

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Oracle: The Complete Reference by Kevin Loney, ISBN 0072225211 is my personal favorite, though my copy is from V7.

• The Oracle Online University http://www.oracle.com/education/oln/index.html?ou_online_home.html   has many online courses. The free area offers a basic introduction to Oracle architecture and the paid membership is only $280 per year to access any course. In my opinion the free, complete, no trial edition, no expiration download of any edition of the Oracle DBMS plus the no cost/low cost online training is much better than similar Microsoft training offerings($$).

I've been a SQL Server DBA for four years and I'm currently working through the online course "OCP - Oralce9i Database Administrator Fundmentals 1", a 45-hour online course. For an online course it's not bad. Once I finish the online course I was planning on reading the e-book "SQL Server for the Oracle DBA" -- since there isn't a book "Oracle for the SQL Server DBA".

• The Sybex OCP Oracle 9i certification study guides are excellent for learning Oracle 9i. If you need to learn Oracle from the ground up at your own pace I definately recommend this series. However, if you plan to take any of the oracle 9i exams, I recommend getting additional testing material from test sites like actualcerts.com.

PS Bookpool.com has the sybex oracle series at a very resonable price.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply