Oracle SQL Plus syntax

• I'm used to SQL Server. Oracle syntax is a bit different. I have Oracle SQL Plus (v9). I've solved most of my problems but need help with these 3.

How do I specify an alias for a table? T-SQL equivalent of FROM Table [/b]AS T[/b]

How do I stop the output from repeating the column headings every 10 items?

How do I load an existing script to re-run it?

• Tom Brown (9/13/2010)

I'm used to SQL Server. Oracle syntax is a bit different. I have Oracle SQL Plus (v9). I've solved most of my problems but need help with these 3.

How do I specify an alias for a table? T-SQL equivalent of FROM Table [/b]AS T[/b]

don't include the AS keyword;

you can use the AS keyword for columns, but not for table names;:

--Oracle Syntax:

SELECT

COL1 AS CITY,

COL2 AS STATE

FROM TableName MyAlias;

run this group of settings in SQL plus before running the rest of your commands:

set linesize 1000;

set pagesize 48;

set arraysize 20;

set wrap off;

SET DEFINE OFF;

not sure....

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Tom Brown (9/13/2010)

I'm used to SQL Server. Oracle syntax is a bit different. I have Oracle SQL Plus (v9). I've solved most of my problems but need help with these 3.

Let me take the last one.

Assuming your script name is mysqlscript.sql located in /opt/oracle/scripts once you are logged into sqlplus just type

@/opt/oracle/scripts/mysqlscript.sql

Hope this helps.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Thank-you both.

Apart from the cranky text editor and lack of syntax colouring, I'm quite enjoying a minor foray into Oracle.

• Tom Brown (9/15/2010)

Thank-you both.

Apart from the cranky text editor and lack of syntax colouring, I'm quite enjoying a minor foray into Oracle.

Glad to help.

In regards to "the cranky..." you can always download - it's free! - Oracle's SQL Developer, you will feel much better, at least in terms of having a GUI interface 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • You can use SQLS*Plus (http://www.memfix.com) - this is a free SQL Server tool that acts as SQL*Plus for Oracle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply