ORACLE to MSSQL - Constraints and Tools??

• Hello,

We're migrating a 7.3 Oracle db to MSSQL 2000 environment. I've tried using DTS. While it migrates the tables & data, it doesn't capture the table constraints (PK, UK). Any suggestions? Note: There are alot of tables, so I would like to avoid manually re-creating these in mssql.

Many thanks. Jeff

• There should be some tool to do the migration. Check in quest.com they have plenty of tools one might help you incase.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• maybe it's worth to mention that MS has a free migration assistant for Oracle to SQL2005.

I don't know if it supports the Oracle 7.3

But maybe installing a SQL2005 eval edition and running the assistant and then generating the script for sql2000, creating on the sql2000 and improting the data may pay off

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I saw one tool several years ago but it was pricey. How many objects are you talking?

• Hi,

there are approx 300 tables with primary keys, unique keys and a couple of check constraints. No RI. No special indexes. Otherwise pretty simple ....

Many thanks. Jeff

• Jeff,

I suggest you the tool called "SwisSQL",They are providing migrating solutions for various databases,I have tested the tool for migrating Oracle to MSSQL ,The tool is free in the evaluation period!(Absolutely free)

You can get support for the migration process and the reg version is also less costly when compared with other tools.

Regards,

Ramprasad.G

• Hi Ramprasad.G,

unfortunately for my case, it didn't work as it requires min Oracle 8i ... it didn't recognize/connect to 7.3.4 instance ... but from initial install and wizard, it looks like a good app.

Many thanks. Jeff

• hi Jeff

but if you don´t find how do in wizard, the location in Oracle is 2 views

user_constraints and user_cons_columns

user_constraints tell us all kind of constraints, primary , foreign and check constraints.

Oracle considers that not null is a check constraint internally.

user_cons_columns tell us all about columns with this constraints .

trying to help you, good luck!!!

Cris.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply