Order by first before creating a clustered index??

• Does anyone know if it's faster to do "order by" before creating a clustered index?

ex)

select COLUMN_A, max(COLUMN_B) as COLUMN_B

into TABLE_B

from TABLE_A

group by COLUMN_A

order by COLUMN_A

create unique clustered index COLUMN_A on TABLE_B (COLUMN_A)

Thanks.

• Max (2/13/2009)

Does anyone know if it's faster to do "order by" before creating a clustered index?

ex)

select COLUMN_A, max(COLUMN_B) as COLUMN_B

into TABLE_B

from TABLE_A

group by COLUMN_A

order by COLUMN_A

create unique clustered index COLUMN_A on TABLE_B (COLUMN_A)

Thanks.

No. Running the query above prior to creating the clustered index will have no affect at all on the create index statement.

• Lynn Pettis (2/13/2009)

No. Running the query above prior to creating the clustered index will have no affect at all on the create index statement.

Actually won't it slow everything down? I mean not the actual creation of the index itself, but the process.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• What I think he was asking, will the create index run faster after I run the query with the order by first.

If that isn't what the OP meant, he needs to do a better job of explaining his request.

• Lynn Pettis (2/13/2009)

What I think he was asking, will the create index run faster after I run the query with the order by first.

If that isn't what the OP meant, he needs to do a better job of explaining his request.

No, you got it right I think. I just wanted to point out that the wasted effort wasn't zero sum, it not only didn't help, it hurt overall. Sorry, I did it in too flippant a way.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Actually, I think we need an emoticon for sarcism. Know of one?

• I would have to vote for this one.

:Whistling:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply