Orphaned Processes

• I have a client who was working with a view that utilizes a Linked Server.  The Linked Server makes a connection to an Oracle 8i database.  I am not sure what happened but the client's 6 processes appear to be hung/orphaned.  The processes show in the master..sysprocesses table.  All of his processes have a status of runnable, 2 have a command of KILLED/ROLLBACK, and 4 have a command of AWAITING COMMAND.  I have tried to KILL the process but they do not, yet SQL Server logs inidcate the KILL.  I have tried shutting down and restarting the DTC services.  I do find his processes listed in master..syslockinfo but the UOW is '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'.  When running the KILL UOW command, I get a message the distributed transaction does not exist.  Short of rebooting the server, is there a way to make these processes go away?

• You could try these:  Have the client reboot or Drop and re-create the linked server, but I'm not sure if either will work.  Does the linked server still have a good connection?  If not, then that might be the problem.... 

Linda

• Another DBA accidentally launched a batch (.bat) file which rebooted the server, which resolved the issue.  However, the link was working fine.  I stopped and started the DTS services and it did not correct the problem.  In all of my research, it appeared the hung/orphaned processes were not doing anything.  It appeared as if the master..sysprocesses table was not cleaned up properly until the reboot. 

I was hoping to resolve this without a reboot but now I'll have to wait for it to occur again.

I will still take an answer if anyone has one.

Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply